Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:48 PM  
Taurus's Forum Picture
Name: Noah
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by IAMWILL View Post
Yes, I just said that. No one can prove God exists or that He doesn't exist, neither side has an advantage here.

"Understand" wasn't the best word to use, "discover" fits the bill better.

I didn't bother to do much research, but according to this 2011 Gallup poll, 92% of Americans believe in God or some sort of higher power.

You bring up a good point here. It is important to recognize that religion didn't create God, God created religion. All legitimate monotheistic churches will say the God they believe in is the same God all other monotheistic churches believe in. Religion is for interpreting what people believe God teaches, not what He is. There are not many polytheistic religions anymore, but generally all of their gods combined represent the exact same God monotheistic religions believe in. Other religions don't exactly believe in a God, but rather some sort of higher power. You don't need to be brought up in a religious family or experience religious teaching in order to discover and believe in God. I sure wasn't, my mom is atheist, and my dad, although Catholic, never had us go to Church or practice any religion at all.

On a side note, I also don't think children should be forced to believe in a certain religion. I think a lot of children, and this is huge among teenagers, become atheist/agnostic because they want to rebel from what they have been told was right for their entire lives. Its better that people are raised sans forced beliefs and allowed to discover their own beliefs, and maybe after that find a belief system that fits them.
That poll is not only out of date, but it only polled 0.00027% of the US population.
Humans created religion, not a god.
I'm also pretty certain that the Bhakti god is not representational of your god. The same goes for the other thousands of gods throughout history.
Who are you to say what religions are legitimate or not?
Children and young adults will also be atheists or agnostics because they are critical thinkers and begin to question.
Also, how do you know your god is a "he"?
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote