View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM  
Dolphus Raymond
Great Poster

Default Re: Pro's and Cons of circumsision (healthwise)

Hate to bump this, but I want to point out that this is from an incredibly biased source. Basically, they've taken the most friendly statistics for circumcision and juxtaposed them with the most conservative statistics against. "Sexual function is better" is less proven than "sensation is worse," but the former is presented as fact, and the latter is debunked.

I could find an anti-circumcision site that uses the same set of studies to reach the opposite conclusion. But I won't, because that's intellectually dishonest. I can list a number of things this study neglects. What about excessively tight circumcisions? The loss of the sexual function of the foreskin? Are those who are circumcised, but unhappy about it, "healthy"? The point of medicine is to make people happy about their bodies...if they aren't, and it can't be reversed, it's a failure of medicine. Period.

Basically, don't believe everything you read. A study by the University of Washington said that both of them are nearly balanced in pros and cons. Personally, that's why I believe it's unethical not to leave it up to the child.

dolphus.

"I don't believe in magic. But I do believe in interpreting coincidence exactly the way you want to." -Sherman Alexie