View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM  
Blahages
Nice Poster

Default Re: Issue with laptop startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValtasticallyTheBomb View Post
I assume this shiny sticker with "Product Key: [insert a million letters]" is what you're talking about, so yes. What's the difference between Home and Pro Install CD's?
Well, you're going to have to use the one that corresponds to the license key on the bottom of the computer. If it says Home, you have to use the Home CD, if it says Professional, you have to use the Pro CD.

Basically, most users won't see much of a difference between the two. Professional is the same thing as Pro, but with some added features, like the ability to Host Remote Desktop, Group Policies, etc. Here's a little thing from MS that shows the features of Pro VS Home. Most of them won't be used by the majority of users:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...choosing2.mspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValtasticallyTheBomb View Post
My grandfather looked it over and turns out I don't have the memory/space to hold XP anyway, so before I do all of the above, I need some kind of upgrade or something which my mom is gonna look up....and I'm thinking I should take like a computer-savvy class b/c I feel so unintelligent right now lol
Well, if it has the XP Sticker on it, it should run it. Unless they downgraded the Memory, and stuff.

What's the Laptop Make/Model?

Pretty much, any computer made from 1998 (Actually, Some Even Earlier, although I wouldn't recommend it) or so on will run XP, although, obviously, the higher the specs, the better it'll run.

Do you know how to get into the Laptop's Bios? It should, when you first turn it on, say "Press [INSERT KEY HERE] for Setup" or "For Bios" or something of the like. Usually, the Key is F1, F2, or DEL.

In there, it should tell you how much Memory (RAM) you have, what the Processor (CPU Speed, in MHz or GHz), and the Hard Drive Size, in MB of GB.

If you could post that, I'll tell you if it'll run XP with or without any problems.

- Bill
Blahages is offline   Reply With Quote