View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM  
thesphinx
Awesome Poster

thesphinx's Forum Picture

Default Re: music's negative effect on Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo22 View Post
I'd like to point out that's all positive effects. And yes if you're brain is focusing on more than 4 bars of music (psytrance has 32, classical has 16) then you're going to more alert mentally.

"High school students who study music have higher grade point averages that those who don't."

They worded that poorly
Sounds like if I study music, I'm gonna beat the kid studying math
"In general, responses to music are able to be observed. It has been proven that music influences humans both in good and bad ways."

"An Australian physician and psychiatrist, Dr. John Diamond, found a direct link between muscle strength/weakness and music. He discovered that all of the muscles in the entire body go weak when subjected to the "stopped anapestic beat" of music from hard rock musicians, including Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Queen, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Bachman - Turner Overdrive, and The Band. Dr. Diamond found another effect of the anapestic beat. He called it a "switching" of the brain. Dr. Diamond said this switching occurs when the actual symmetry between both of the cerebral hemispheres is destroyed causing alarm in the body along with lessened work performance, learning and behavior problems in children, and a "general malaise in adults." In addition to harmful, irregular beats in rock music, shrill frequencies prove to also be harmful to the body."
thesphinx is offline   Reply With Quote