View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM  
Retired Administrator
redcar's Forum Picture
Default Senator To Resign Over Sex Scandal

A US politician who is embroiled in a gay sex scandal after being arrested in an airport toilet has announced his resignation from the Senate.
Long-serving Republican Larry Craig pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct after he was detained by a plain clothes officer in June.
The three-term Idaho senator, who was arrested for soliciting sex in a men's toilet, is stepping down to pursue legal action to try to clear his name.
He said: "To Idahoans I represent, to my staff, to my Senate colleagues, but most importantly to my wife and family, I apologise for what I have caused. I am deeply sorry."

Craig, 62, was arrested in an undercover operation, where officers targeted the toilet at the Minneapolis-St Paul airport because of problems with lewd behaviour.
He has denied doing anything wrong and said he was not a homosexual, but has had little support from colleagues.
He also said he had admitted guilt without consulting a lawyer and in the hope that he would make the case "go away".

Many of Craig's fellow Republicans called on him to quit or criticised his behaviour, and were worried about the scandal's effect on next year's election.
The married father-of-three has a conservative record in the Senate and has voted against gay rights and same-sex marriage legislation.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell called Craig's conduct "unforgivable" and acknowledged that many in the rank and file thought Craig should go.
His resignation takes effect on September 30 and Idaho's Republican governor is expected to appoint another Republican to serve out Craig's term.,00.html

Ok I have been looking at this story for the last few days, and it really annoys me. The way people turn on each other so quickly. No one is perfect but yet people are so quick to turn on each other.

~ A L E X ~

redcar is offline   Reply With Quote