View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM  
dannyley
Member++

Default ban lifted on princess diana's memoruial service

A BLUNDER by Royal aides saw one of Princess Diana's closest friends uninvited to the memorial service to mark ten years since her death.

A senior source at Clarence House said it was a "regrettable oversight" that Victoria Mendham had initially been missed off the guest list.

Ms Mendham was Diana's personal secretary and holiday companion.

She has now been invited to Friday's service but it is not yet known if she will be able to attend.

Other former members of Diana's staff now attending include chauffeur Simon Solari and chef Mervyn Wycherley and friends Lucia Flecha and Vivienne Parry.

However, a ban on Diana's former butler, Paul Burrell, has not been lifted.

Banned ... Paul Burrell

The 39-year-old is thought to have been snubbed on the request of Princes William and Harry, who felt he exploited his position close to Diana to make money since their mother's death.

The Clarence House source added: "Paul Burrell has contacted Clarence House and left courtiers he spoke to in do doubt about what he thought of their decision to leave him off the list.

"He was told he was not wanted and the decision stood."

However, Mr Burrell said today he has “not one grievance to bear” over not being invited to the memorial service and denied he has called Clarence House to complain.

He said: “I have respect for the decision taken by Princes William and Harry, and understand the position from their point of view.

“I have not one grievance to bear over this situation, and cannot be upset over an invitation I was not expecting to receive in the first place.”

The latest debacle in the memorial guest list comes after Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, pulled out of attending the service because she thought her presence would "divert attention from the purpose of the occasion."

Those who will be attended the service include Princes Charles, William and Harry, Elton John, Tony Blair and Diana's brother Earl Spencer.

Mohamed al Fayed, whose son Dodi died in the same car crash as Diana, is another notable absentee from the memorial guest list.

Al-Fayed ... to hold own tribute

Mr al Fayed has waged a long battle for what he sees as justice for his son and the Princess.

He believes the pair were murdered in a plot by the British establishment and security services.

Instead of attending the service, he will hold two minutes’ silence in the couple's honour at 11am at Harrods in Knightsbridge, central London, on Friday.

He will be joined by members of his family for the tribute and the department store's customers and staff will be invited to observe the silence.

Two Union flags, which will fly over Harrods on the day, will be at half mast.

There will also be a special window display dedicated to Diana and Dodi.

I'm ENGLISH and as stuborn as they come GET USED 2 IT

Jdude my bro
dannyley is offline   Reply With Quote