View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM  
what the?
Nice Poster

what the?'s Forum Picture

Default Re: Should the gay bar be an official forum?

Wow, I can't believe that a debate has been raging on about a topic so dear to my heart and I haven't got involved, so here is contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionalMeltdown09 View Post
I'm black as well, Austin, and I would like to disagree with this point. I have dealt all my life with black jokes, references, etc, but only twice have I ever experienced outright dislike and prejudice- and most of my life has been lived in very white suburbs. My many gay friends, however, differ greatly. They have dealt with much greater ridicule than I have and what they go through is much less joking and much more heinous. And as far as being fat goes...have you ever seen a hate crime against a fat person before? B/c....I haven't. Ridicule, yes of course, but actual prejudice, never.

I agree with Alex [above] that there should just be a forum called Teen Sexuality, for people to talk and ask about orientations in general. It's not about excluding anyone, gay or otherwise; it's about helping each other find answers we couldn't find other places- which is, after all, the purpose of this site, is it not?
Can I just say, this is one wise lady, and you should definitely adhere to what she's saying.

Firstly, I know this is a little off topic, but in response to what this lady said (sorry, I don't know your name), there is far more homophobia at my school than there is racial hatred. To to be racist, or use a racial slur, would be highly unacceptable and you probably would literally end up getting killed or very badly assaulted, no joke. On the other hand, to be abusive against gays is pretty much celebrated. I'm not going to go into detail, but on one occasion, as I walked into school, someone actually shouted, "I hope you burn in hell!". Need I say any more.

Austin, I can understand where you're coming from, but it's not about segregating a certain population of VT, because in my opinion, this so called "Teen Sexuality" forum wouldn't be exclusively for gays/bis whatever, it would be an all encompassing forum for people to discuss their problems, worries, fears, experiences, anything, relating to sexuality.

I think people are too worried about these so called "noobs" or whatever they're called, posting in this forum, how's that for prejudice? Just because someone is young, is new to this community, might not be that bright, does that mean they're not allowed to post? You can't stop being posting stupid questions, and I'm not saying ignorance is bliss, but you have to appreciate that everyone has questions, that they want answers to, and that's what we're here to provide. If you don't like it, no ones forcing you to stay lol.

I would finally like to add that I honestly don't think it really matters all that much whether questions about sexuality end up in 'Discussions', or 'Puberty 101', or 'Relationships', or the gay bar, anywhere, as long as they're relevant, that all I care about. I think some people are too hung up about all this sort of, 'forum snobbery' as I like to call it lol. Jeez, live a little, there's no need to get heated over a forum?

Sorry if what I've said has upset anyone, take it up with me by PM, not here. Thanks

Ashley x

And the sun sets in the sky
You're the apple of my eye
If the bomb goes off again
In my brain or on the train
I hope that I'm with you
'Cos I wouldn't know what to do
It means nothing