View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM  
Name: Valerie
Default Re: Should the gay bar be an official forum?

Alright, I've decided to add my 2 cents here...

Originally Posted by Mannequin View Post
I guarantee there is as much prejudice against fat people and black people than there is against gay people.
I'm black as well, Austin, and I would like to disagree with this point. I have dealt all my life with black jokes, references, etc, but only twice have I ever experienced outright dislike and prejudice- and most of my life has been lived in very white suburbs. My many gay friends, however, differ greatly. They have dealt with much greater ridicule than I have and what they go through is much less joking and much more heinous. And as far as being fat goes...have you ever seen a hate crime against a fat person before? B/c....I haven't. Ridicule, yes of course, but actual prejudice, never.

Homosexuality is different because it isn't a disorder!! (spare the debate arguments). Unlike depression and schizo, being gay is just a sexuality. You cannot cure it.
Who's asking to be cured? If The Gay Bar was to become a forum, I seriously doubt its purpose would be to debate ways to stop being gay.

So to conclude, why would we encourage a seperate forum specifically for gay people to only exclude the gay population--even if only online more when being gay is just as normal as being straight and gay people's relational difficulties and hardships can be addressed in an already established forum with straight people??
I agree with Alex [above] that there should just be a forum called Teen Sexuality, for people to talk and ask about orientations in general. It's not about excluding anyone, gay or otherwise; it's about helping each other find answers we couldn't find other places- which is, after all, the purpose of this site, is it not?

Alright, there's my 2 cents [for the moment]