View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM  
kolte
I am: I am

kolte's Forum Picture

Name: Matt
Default Re: Should Marijuana be legal?

More facts from "Why Marijuana Should Be Legal, by Ed Rosenthal and Steve Kubby.

Federal taxpayers spend far more per year to house one inmate, about twenty three thousand dollars. Than to educate one child at approximately eight thousand dollars.

This is quite disturbing to me, I think that should be reversed.

The department of justice budget grew over eight hundred percent between 1981 and 2002. Compare that to the department of education, whose budget grew only two hundred eighty five percent.

What is up with that? This too should be reversed.

It costs more to send a person to prison for four years then it does to send a person to a university for four years.

with 1.2 million people getting out of jail, should marijuana become legal, thats 1.2 million under privilaged children, that can have there college education paid for.

At the end of 2001, there were an estimated 1.2 million non violent offenders locked up in America at a cost of more then 24 billion dollars annually.

You have to ask yourself, did these people really do anything to deserve such punishment. These are teenagers, non violent offenders, people cought in there houses, falling asleep to cartoons, stoned crazy, just enjoying a day off work. These are innocent mothers and fathers, and sisters and brothers, and sons and daughters. They did nothing to hurt anyone.

The total cost to taxpayers of marijuana related incarceration reached more then 1.2 billions dollars per year. This does not include the cost of investigating arresting and prosecuting the hundreds of thousands of marijuana users arrested every years.

1.2 million dollars that could be going to education, and medical science, and alternative energy research.

The total number of drug prisoners represented 20.7 percent of the state and 62.2 percent of the federal inmate populations; however the bureau of justice excluded unsentenced inmates and federal prisoners in state and private prisons or state prisoners held in local jails or private facilities.

Once again ask yourself. Do these people deserve prison for there so called "crimes"?
-------------
About 25 billion dollars comes from the illegal marijuana industry today. Thats allot of tax money the USA could be collecting.

""The New Law of Righteousness," that there "shall be no buying or selling, no fairs nor markets, but the whole earth shall be a common treasury for every man," and "there shall be none Lord over others, but every one shall be a Lord of himself.""
kolte is offline   Reply With Quote