View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM  
Kiros
Retired Administrator

Kiros's Forum Picture

Name: Ben
Exclamation Search Engine Indexing - Our Server Load

Personally, I think we should be better indexed on Google, Yahoo!, and other search engines; after all, that's the most common method of locating a website. In light of this, I'm going to let "ease up" on the restrictions that I've set for all the search engines, also, all the sitemap generations will now have every link possible in them - with the exception of member profiles. I'm currently debating with myself if member profiles should be public or private, but if they change to be public in the near future, the search engines will index those as well.

Basically, this means that we will be having much more traffic on the site with many more queries going through our database. I'm predicting that the average server load will jump at least 3 points. What does this mean to you? The server may be bogged down sometimes and so VirtualTeen (not just the forums - the entire website) may not be accessible at those times.

Just to point it out, a good rule of thumb to follow is that if it takes more than 10 seconds to start loading a page after clicking a link, just exit out and come back 10-15 minutes later.

So we'll see how this goes. If server loads get incredibly high, I'll push back with some restrictions. Let me know through PM/email if you encounter bad load times or error messages.

Thanks,
//KiroS

Kiros || Ben

Happiness is not about being perfect.
It is about seeing beyond the imperfections.