Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM  
Efflorescence
Member++
 
Efflorescence's Forum Picture
 
Name: D-
Join Date: August 26, 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
I know what I see. Where I live, the places, I've been, the people I've talked to, that's what I know of. I'm not making black and white statements. You almost sound like your making useless pointless arguments for the sake of boredom.
Well ,that's the problem, isn't it? You know what you see and that's it. Perhaps religious people in America are a bit more extreme than here in Europe. You may, and I hope, that you get the opportunity to see other things as well but on the good side.

For example, I had a very traumatic experience in the past. The Christian Community in here has helped me a lot in dealing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
And you generalize all Priests in your country to respect people of "all beliefs". Well, you're black and white too then. Fucking a, still going nowhere.
Priests in general in my country. Like everything in life, there are rotten carrots, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Well, speaking of delusions, I don't believe I'm human.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
The Bible is very intolerant.
First of all, I have already pointed out how you always leave the New Testament out on purpose.

And second of all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
But he that is spiritual judgeth all things
So the Bible even teaches that it is God that judges not us. So how come you tell me that the Bible tells Christians to judge against other people because of their beliefs?

We Christians are supposed to believe in God not that we are God. If we play God we would be going against one of the fundamental beliefs of Christians: we would be taking the place of God. Let Him judge when it comes to this. That's what we're supposed to think.

Third of all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Most of us atheists have been "spat" on by the religious for what we are, which pushed us towards atheism.
I do hope that this is not what pushed you towards atheism. One can deny all forms of organized religion and religious people, but still be a theist - still believe in a deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Well, I said of religions, not just Christians. That's something you mistaken. I was saying it's something that is a fault of religion; not something that only happens with Christians and these certain Christians are good examples bla bla.
Again with 'the fault' of religion crap. It's the fault of people who distorted religion not 'religion' per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
If they did they wouldn't fight and many denominations would die out of popularity while more accepting ones would stay
What is this? Many people survive by being aggressive and then you come and tell me they would die out? Of course they don't! Not only do they survive but they stand out more than the accepting ones..... they get in the media, they get talked about etc etc. Some of them thrive on 'notoriety' or whatever you call it in English.

Take the example of this hate group, Westboro Baptist Church. How many members have they got? 50? 40? But those 40 may stand out more than the other denominations because of their extreme actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Of course. Doesn't mean you're right. I believe I'm right because I've been of different religions, denominations, had spiritual and very nihilistic moments together. I've faced truth and sucked in lies. I've lived with people of different religions too. I believe what I believe right now for the sole purpose that I've had tons of experience with different things and have tried different things out. I find that quite rational of an explanation.
Everyone believes he's right, obviously. I have also thought about different religions but no, I admit I did not have these experiences like you, seeing that about 80% of Malta (it's my country) is Catholic. I try to find out from Internet and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Heh, you miss my point and that's also a hypocritical thing for you to say, considering the story of Adam and Eve and Sin. The Jewish people considered themselves a community for example; when one person suffers they all suffer, when one person mourns they all mourn, et al. It's more of a 'family'.
First of all, there is a difference between mourning and being punished. The former is called empathy and I agree with it. Plus that even Christians have funerals to mourn together like a 'family'.

Second of all, the story of Adam and Eve serves to show that people somwtimes choose evil over good and look what happens. Whether the story really happened or not is debatable. And unimportant because not the story is what's really fundamental, only its religious message.

The Bible is a religious book. It may be erranous when it comes to geography, science and history. Because those do not form part of its purpose or its message.
You have also got to take in the context of culture and era in which the Old Testament was written. Faith alone is not good, it must be coupled up with reason to see what is applicable and what is not, and what is 'culture' and what is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
I don't see why you're in this thread debating. You have a personal connection towards your religion, you say you don't want to convert anybody, then why debate here? Personal belief means personal. You're not using any proof or evidence, using any important or useful religious debates.
Because the claim that Christianity = intolerance is absurd! And even that the Bible orders Christians to be intolerant is absurd!

That's why I'm debating, because it's false and it can never be justified.

And about the 'proof' part, I have a crazy belief which I don't think is so crazy that something as big as God is meant not to be proved by lower beings such as humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
All because I believe something is important doesn't mean it's good. Could be bad. Then it could be good too.
You seemed to think it's all bad because it's 'what God wants us to be.' You gave me that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
Of course you have the nihilism of life where that 1.3 billion, well, tons more, along with mentally challenged and such, it's just almost impossible to live a good life. Life is fucking shit anyhow.

I've heard of people in the biggest hell holes of the World, somehow, some-fucking-how figuring a way out and living a good life. Met a person at my Community College who grew up in the fucking Congo for fucks sake.

I know that the majority of people who are depressed in live in a shit hole typically don't go anywhere. I'm there right now. What keeps me going is knowing the possibility. When I look at those documentaries of people living in a life/death situation on an hourly basis, I think about how if they can survive, I can definitely survive.

So I still go by my philosophy things can work out for most people even in the worst of situations.
You seem to fluctuate between thinking that life is shit and that there's still some hope.I do that as well at times. Well we're 17 so we can do shit and do our best to make it work out.

My opinion: Documentaries are the shit, nihilism is shit. Just saying.

Last edited by Efflorescence; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Efflorescence is offline   Reply With Quote