View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM  
Octo22
Member++

Default Re: People who are different for the sake of being different

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjane View Post
alright, so youre telling me that he would wear a mowhawk and be a punk, even if there were no punks?
Yep, if I were to think up the style all by myself, then yes. I clearly have seen mohawks in my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjane View Post
i've quoted that he likes it and it shares his views and ideology shared with the punk crowd. i dont disagree that he doesnt like his mowhawk. im trying to figure out why the punk/goth/etc crowds like to be the way they are. why do they choose to look extremely different from everyone else? why dont they expect to be looked at differently? why do they all follow the same beliefs? why do they tend to listen to the same music? why doesnt an individual of the group expect to be judged for how the rest of the people in that group think? if how you dressed reflected how you thought, wouldnt people know how you thought before they actually knew you? isnt that stereotyping? arent they allowing themselves to be stereotyped?
I agree, in many cases this is true. "Waaaah, I'm being stereotyped cuz I look goth, that's dumb!" <- That is a very dumb statement. I EXPECT to be stereotyped, I just DON'T CARE.

Also, as to why they look a certain way (at least to throw in for punks/skinheads)

WAAAAY back when the government was even more oppressive, hundreds of workers / kids or basically anyone that felt they were bullyed, shaved their heads (some into mohawks) and wore boots, to make a political statement that they were mindless drones for the government to use as an army. So yes, I look a certain way because my views are shared with this group on many aspects. But I didn't become a punk, and then get the ideals, I had them before I knew what punk was.

But to get back to the original point.

The difference is people who COMPLAIN about being judged when it's obvious they should know it's coming; And people who DON'T CARE they're being judged, because they're making a statement FOR THEMSELVES.

I hope I've clarified
Octo22 is offline   Reply With Quote