Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM  
Genghis Khan
Banned

Name: Yazdegard
Location: Persepolis; Pārsa, Takht-e Jamshid, Pasargadae, Babylon
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiny View Post
How can I, you or anyone give you that? If we're talking about something which one can define and has a definite shape then I would be able to give you evidence.
Again, why believe something you can't even define. You're in essence, arguing for something that you don't have a basic idea of.

Quote:
But since God is a higher being and he doesn't have substance, then how does one go about that? In order to give evidence of something, you need an instrument, you need to conduct an experiment. At least in science.
What does he have that can be tested? Because if he can't be, why even bother?

Quote:
And have you ever heard of Aristotle's view on God? There's your metaphysics if you want.
So you are prepared to define him, your definition is that of an ancient philosopher. That's a start. I just looked up the Aristotelian view, it needs some serious clarification. The only thing I remember pertaining to this argument that was close to Greek philosophy was that 'God is the nature of existence'. Which is dandy, but that's still just a definition on its own.

Referring back to Aristotle, his idea of God was the idea of an 'unmoved mover'. This is again assuming that the universe ever needed a 'mover' in the first place, you'd have to justify how this mover never needed its own 'mover' to 'move' it into being. If you get my drift. Basically this just gets us back to the drawing board with the whole 'who created God' extravaganza.

If you referred to his principles of being then that argument was principally 'God is all actuality'. Which is not an argument, it's a modulation of an already existing definition of the word 'actuality'. It's invalid.

Quote:
They may not be in congruence with each other but they all have something in common: they believe in HIGHER BEING/BEINGS. They vary when it comes to the properties they give to God, but not when it comes to the existence of God.
Fair enough, I would accept that it is a possibility (given that God exists) every religion may well be a different interpretation of a higher being.

Quote:
It doesn't mean that because different religions have different perspectives on God, then that means HE doesn't exist. Human beings have different opinions. You cannot dismiss something just because people disagree on it.
You can make case for it though, if every religion praises a different deity, how do we know which deity is the real thing? Point is, you don't. Your philosophy is he's something unimaginable and abstract despite all the current religious philosophies. That's all well and dandy, but it's yet another claim.

Quote:
If unicorns were higher than us then they would be either spirits or God.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG9001 View Post
Religion is like the lottery.
Religion is like my stomach, it excretes digestive juices.
Genghis Khan is offline   Reply With Quote