Old September 13th, 2011, 01:58 AM  
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
However, the Bible is not there to try to explain how lightning happens. There is that God created the world in 7 days. Did he? WHO CARES?
"Who cares". What amazing words. Seems like the argument over religion is finally done with. Case closed.

Quote:
The bible is NOT a geographical/historical/cultural book. It is a religious book, the religious message is important. Other elements aside from the religious message are trivial and can be ignored.
Ok, but then why does the Bible act like a gographical/historical/cultural book at times? If none of that is true or relevant then why should I believe in any of the rest? Am I really supposed to take the Bible seriously if the wrongly bullshit science parts of it aren't true? Like I can't NOT look at that. I'm going to see it and laugh at it no matter what.

Now, let's talk about Bible and science for a little bit.

Let's start off with the hypocrisy at the start of Genesis.

Quote:
And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. Genesis 1:24
Doesn't this sound like God let the Earth start evolution right there? Doesn't that contradict creationism? This is a very funny verse to bring up now, because it can definitely lead up a long debate, huh?

Quote:
Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. Genesis 6:14-15
Now, this is kind of wacky. Quoting from an old post of mine, I'll try to take a dump on this Noah's Ark story quickly, because this is going to be a VERY LONG post. This is what happens when Tim gets Chili and borrows a friends hookah, he has fun with religious debates online!

The Flood would have no purpose unless it flooded the entire earth to the mountain tops, but there is not enough water on earth to flood every continent to the top of the highest mountains. Forty days of the heaviest rain imaginable would scarecely make a difference and, in any case, rain comes from the sea and would quicky drain back into the sea.

The Bible vaguely mentions water from the deep - under the earth - but there never was any such water. In any case it would have to defy the laws of gravity to reach the surface, and to stay there for a whole year.

The Bible says that Noah lived for a further 350 years after the Flood. Having personally talked to God, been rescued from the greatest disaster in human history, and being the direct ancestor of every living person, it is inconceivable that no written record exists of the subsequent life of this great man. No one sought Noah's advice, and even the worship of the God who had saved Noah had totally disappeared by the time of Abraham, who knew nothing of his supposedly still-living ancestor.

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers
Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius
Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers
Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers
The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.
Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3
Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3
The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3
Notice that this is more than 3 TIMES the amount of water presently on Earth.

How do you explain the relative ages of mountains? For example, why weren't the Sierra Nevadas eroded as much as the Appalachians during the Flood?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in ice core series? Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?

How are the polar ice caps even possible? Such a mass of water as the Flood would have provided sufficient buoyancy to float the polar caps off their beds and break them up. They wouldn't regrow quickly. In fact, the Greenland ice cap would not regrow under modern (last 10 ky) climatic conditions.

Why did the Flood not leave traces on the sea floors? A year long flood should be recognizable in sea bottom cores by (1) an uncharacteristic amount of terrestrial detritus, (2) different grain size distributions in the sediment, (3) a shift in oxygen isotope ratios (rain has a different isotopic composition from seawater), (4) a massive extinction, and (n) other characters. Why do none of these show up?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in tree ring dating? Tree ring records go back more than 10,000 years, with no evidence of a catastrophe during that time.

Some sources:
Sources: Here.
Here.
Here.

------Moving on.

Quote:
And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. Genesis 11:1
I'm going to disagree with you here.

Quote:
So let all thine enemies perish, O LORD: but let them that love him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might. And the land had rest forty years. Judges 5:31
Hmmm. I don't think that the Sun revolves around the Earth. If you disagree, read up on this.

Quote:
He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them. Samuel 2:8
The last time I checked, Earth isn't held by Pillars.

Quote:
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Exodus 4:11
Ok, so here God gives people disabilities. Although, if you're trying to say it in a view point of birth, which is never noted if that's what God is meaning, then what causes people to go deaf, blind, and etc? Obvious reasons you can understand if you do research! Also, genetics plays a big role in the outcome of a child and the disabilities some have.

Unless, of course, you don't believe in genetics, which is fucking dumb.

Quote:
Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: Pslam 148:7
Dragons don't exist.

Quote:
And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth. Isiah 2:19

God causes earthquakes? Oh my! In case you don't understand the science of earthquakes children, here's this.

Quote:
But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Matthew 24:37
As Christians like to ignore the old testament or say Noah's Ark was just a story, that's kind of dumb, because Jesus believed it happened, so why wouldn't you? And the flood never happened, so Jesus is wrong. Uh oh! Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. Luke 23:44-45
You would think at least ONE person would be writing that this happened.

Quote:
And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. Relevation 7:1
John, you might just have schizophrenia.

Quote:
And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born. Revelation 12:4

The Bible, directed by Michael Bay. Tagline: Pointless violence that makes no sense and goes on and on leaving you completely bored and losing half your IQ.

Quote:
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; that they are without excuse Romans 1:20
Pretty much saying, "God is real, because God is real and that is all".

Quote:
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. Acts 10:38
Now you know who to blame when you get sick or get the flu. It's the fucking devil! That douche bag! I bet it's him who keeps trying to throw down my blood sugar on a daily basis. That monster is killing my stomach and kidneys! Why would he do such a thing to me? I'm not a Christian, so why would he hurt me? What an asshat!

Luckily, there's prayer! According to the Bible, if I just pray, all of my diabetus (hur hur), mental and other crazy health conditions will go away. That goes for those stupid flu viruses too!

Quote:
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. James 5:14-15
Quote:
And another thing, I've noted that here on this site, agnostics and atheists group together.
Do you mean when it comes to debating at people? Yeah, there's a lot of atheist liberal angry teens on here. What do you expect? This is a place for people that want help. Most people that are depressed, as of how I think of this, are more open minded and understand the World more. Maybe this is just sounding really fucking stupid and viewed in only one way, but we definitely are going to pull out bigger and stronger debates without putting down a fight more than the Christians on here who last for four or five useless posts and never come back to the thread.

Quote:
you think that only Christianity has denominations.
I don't remember ever saying that. Can you point the part out where I said that? Man, I'd feel so fucking dumb that I'd quit this site, light myself on fire and being my own feces if I actually said something as dumb as that.

Quote:
In a way even 'agnosticism' has denominations if you want. There are 'agnostic theists' , 'agnostic atheists', just 'agnostics'. So tell me, which one of them is true?
Agnostic atheist? Can you explain that to me?

Quote:
And anyway, this to all of you: I didn't read half of all your posts. All you do is offend and spew shit.
This post I'm really, REALLY trying to not be offensive or rude. I'm trying not to curse as much either because I know that makes the debate and points easier to understand and better to read.

Quote:
If you want to be atheist, agnostic, christian, suck dicks, GO AHEAD.
Wow. What's with the sudden change of religion to sucking on a penis? Was that necessary? Weren't you the one that was just saying people are trying to offend and spew shit?

Quote:
Nothing changes for me. Whether you're atheists or anything else makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to me.
If you really don't care, then stop debating. You're contradicting yourself each time you make a post while not wanting to. I'm sort of like that too at times because I don't like dissecting people's stupidity, but you know, it's whatever. I have nothing better to do at 1:47 AM.

Quote:
When, really and truly I don't give a fuck about what you think about my religion.
Glad to know. I'll always remember in my head, "Confusion, the man who doesn't give a fuck what you think of his religion."

Do you really feel like you can hold that title though? Isn't that more for people who are Scientologists and Mormons? Maybe that's a dumb point, I don't know.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote