View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM  
embers
Banned

Name: Hoshino
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
First of all it's football to me as well. Second of all, it's better to come up with rambling boring posts than to come up with idiotic, rude, judgemental shit which has no fuckin sense at all(like you do), IDIOT. You give atheists a bad name. But then again I'm wasting time with you.
How about you ignore incendiary posts and address ones with more debatable substance, then. You seem to have completely ignored my long response to your previous post.

Quote:
And another thing. If you want to believe in Zeus etc, DO SO by all means. Greek/norse mythology was there to provide explanations for things that we can now explain by science.
Irrelevant, the Greek gods still existed in the mythology. I wasn't talking about the 'explanations' as much as the deities involved. I mean, obviously the Bible also tries to explain things (creation of modern humans) that are now explained completely by science, but that is a 'matter of interpretation' now that we've grown up - god forbid that the greek mythology too is a matter of interpretation!

Quote:
However, the Bible is not there to try to explain how lightning happens.
It attempts to provide an explanation for the origin of man that is ever increasingly likely to be wrong.

Quote:
There is that God created the world in 7 days. Did he? WHO CARES? The bible is NOT a geographical/historical/cultural book.
Inconsistencies in the Bible lessen its credibility. If the Bible was the inspired word of God, it wouldn't have all these inconsistencies.

Who says it isn't a historical book? You? All it seems to be is desert scribblings followed by the testimonies of people about things Jesus did. If it attempts to explain history as truth as well as explain religion, then we have to take it as an attempt to describe history. What you don't seem to understand is that you can't just ignore inconsistencies in a book that dictates your morality and daily lifestyle because they seem to contradict with logical facts and focus on an 'interpretation' of it that only arose because its 'literal' side was proven wrong.

Seriously, get on with your life. It may seem harsh to say so, but clinging desperately to a book with as many inconsistencies and as much incorrectness as the Bible just isn't worth it.

Quote:
It is a religious book, the religious message is important. Other elements aside from the religious message are trivial and can be ignored.
Why?

Quote:
And another thing, I've noted that here on this site, agnostics and atheists group together. MA che MERDA e questa? Atheists and agnostics are not the same. Agnostics are supposed to be in between; their beliefs are neither like those who form part of religion (Christianity, Islam etc) nor those who practise atheism. And another thing, you think that only Christianity has denominations. In a way even 'agnosticism' has denominations if you want. There are 'agnostic theists' , 'agnostic atheists', just 'agnostics'. So tell me, which one of them is true?
Agnosticism isn't a religious belief (or lack thereof). It's more of a description, like Maxxie said. People confuse agnosticism with an 'in the middle, I ain't saying it doesn't exist but I'm not saying it does'. That, in essence, is actually atheism (or 'weak atheism'), which accounts for most atheists. The only belief that actually asserts that there is NO god is 'strong atheism' - I don't think you'll find many strong atheists here, although the user 'standardstate' on govteen is a pretty prominent strong atheist.

Agnosticism is actually the belief that you can never prove or disprove the existence of a metaphysical entity/god. Then you get agnostic theists, who say you cannot prove that he exists but they believe he does, and agnostic atheists, who say you cannot prove he exists but they don't believe he does (they're similar to weak atheists in that they use rational discourse and occham's razor).

Quote:
And again, if there's no difference between Zeus, zombies and God, then agnostics, those who neither believe nor disbelieve there is a God, should also be agnostics to zombies and Zeus. Why don't you go and ask someone who neither believes nor disbelieves there is a God, why he is agnostic to God but not to unicorns? There's no need to ask me when you can ask one of your FELLOW agnostics.
You're painting yourself as ignorant here. Zombies are a less credible theory than God because through our knowledge of how the human body functions we can logically assume that being a 'zombie' technically isn't possible (but I don't know much about that, so I'll leave it there). Again, I'll substitute 'agnostics' for 'atheists' here and say that people who believe in ghosts, unicorns, zombies, and Zeus rather than God are idiots in their own right, especially if they too are atheists. If you use rational discourse to justify disbelief in a deity then it too should be your reasoning for whether or not you believe in unicorns or ghosts.

Ghosts is a quite different debate - there was a thread here a while back in which Sage destroyed arguments for ghosts time and time again, I suggest you read it.

Quote:
And anyway, this to all of you: I didn't read half of all your posts. All you do is offend and spew shit. Do what you want. Your life.........you can do whatever you fuckin want. If you want to be atheist, agnostic, christian, suck dicks, GO AHEAD. Nothing changes for me. Whether you're atheists or anything else makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to me. I mean, do what you want man. Who cares? It was a mistake to come involved in a debate where I try to prove something to someone when I don't need to prove anything to anyone for my life and my beliefs. When, really and truly I don't give a fuck about what you think about my religion.
If you really take a debate this personally then I suggest you either don't debate or chill your fucking beans, bro. It's the internet, don't let yourself become so worked up. People may spew condescending shit but don't think that 1. they are entirely at fault and 2. you should take it personally.

Besides, if you didn't read my post or any other valid ones then I don't even know why I fucking bothered replying.
embers is offline   Reply With Quote