View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM  
embers
Banned

Name: Hoshino
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Well I find believing in goblins and bush spirits a bit...um....how shall I put it? A bit like believing in Santa and the tooth fairy. A bit too primitive. But for me, the idea of a God with whom you can have a personal relationship and who 'set the ball rolling' so to speak, makes sense. Besides, there are also cases of people who have had apparitions (Our Lady of fatima) which I also decide to take into consideration. But even through their own primitive religion, I believe that Mayans are searching for God, for the Creator.
Goblins and bush spirits? Just what do you think the Mayans believed in? They believed in deities, just like Hindus. Again, there's Hindus who have apparitions of Krishna, Muslims apparitions of Muhammed, and the list goes on. You cannot take those firsthand experiences as anything credible.

Quote:
I apply logic to a lot of things but not to everything. I think that the main difference here is that some think that you can apply logic to everything and others don't. That's what I'm seeing here from this thread.
For example (I know that this may sound like bullcrap to you but.....) if you apply logic to love, trust and even faith, you'll kill them. How do you apply logic to love?
It's not that I don't ask questions...I constantly do... but I feel that this world couldn't have been created out of nothing and when it ends, it again goes to nothing. I just don't. And although I have read the Bible and I do not dismiss it....I prefer living my religion...helping the poor etc.
Love: Extreme emotional attachment. You don't behave rationally or logically when you're in love, but the thing itself is an emotion, it can be epxlained.

Trust: You logically presume (not assume) that a close friend or whatever is telling the truth because of the bond ('love') between you, or something similar.

Faith: It's illogical. You're believing in something, in this case metaphysical, without any credibility (personal accounts don't count; that includes the New Testament).

As for the Big Bang, we can predict what happened up to 10 ^ 43 seconds after it. It's a truth. You can go ahead and say God did it, but there's no basis for that.

Quote:
Why is backtobackawesome the only (poor I must admit) Christian on a thread entitled 'Religion'? It's a bit ironic don't you think?
On the contrary, most people here are Christians. They just don't start debating.

Quote:
Well, God has a bible/qu'ran whatever that you can refer to with multitudes of scientists and people from all the world trying to prove its non-existence/existence, plus living witnesses to say that God had been present in their lives.

And the other doesn't.
There's been no ground covered in proving he exists apart from personal testimonies that don't mean 'jack squat'.
embers is offline   Reply With Quote