View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM  
Shaolin
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos
"a mental condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological and often social functioning of the individual"

how does a mentally "disabled/retarded/deficient" person not fall underneath that definition above
Read my fucking post, before you go around in public telling retarded people they have disorganisation of perosnality, mind and emotions.

They DON't, their perosnality is already formed by the time they are three, as the same is with every human.

Everyone has a different IQ, so by saying that your saying someone with a lower IQ than you is infact retarded.

ALso your saying mentally retarded people (who are mentally healthy) have problems with emotions, personality and cognitive abilities. They are very disabled mentally, but they are not mentally ill.

"sufficient disorganization" implys there had to be organisation in the first place, also by using the word sufficient.

The dicitonary definition is referring to mental illness, all different types of mental illnesses are listed in the DSM-IV (do i have to keep repeating this?) and not one of them is 'mentally retarded'.

So cosmos, if you know so much about psychology and mental illness tell me. If a mentally retarded person is automatically mentally ill, by your definition, does that mean they have 'lost their mind', or never had most of it in the first place?

Define the difference between a mentally ill person and a mentally retarded person. Oh wait, your saying they are the same.

Mentally retarded refers to someone who has their abilities stunted, mentally. Mental Illness refers to THOUSANDS of different disorders, that range from something very common like Depression to something very rare like Disassociative Identity Disorder.

Mentally retarded is not listed under any of those definitions.

Dictionary? Shall i use that same feeble defense, the semantics of english langauge?

Quote:
Main Entry: re·tard·ed
Pronunciation: ri-'tärd-&d
Function: adjective
: slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development : characterized by mental retardation

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

retarded

adj : relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development; "providing a secure and sometimes happy life for the retarded" [ant: precocious]
Where in that definition does it indicate they are ILL? Just because i am say less organised than you, or less emotional than you, does not mean to say i am retarded. However if i was say hearing voices, i would be ill. The same applys to a mentally retarded person.

Stop supporting an argument you can't win, and ruining my threads.

If anyone wants immediate advice don\'t hestitate to contact to me on AIM (AOL instant messenger) - aim: vodkasmodka

Eccentric! Not egocentric!
Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote