View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM  
0=
Gone...

0='s Forum Picture

Default Re: Dude, Vista!!

I have been using Vista since they released the final release candidate, and it's ok. It has mouse interface in the installer, and the installer is styled with aero effects. It comes with drivers pre-installed, along with an MPEG-2 decoder, the release candidate was ultimate, so I don't know about basic, but if you buy your computer from Dell they install drivers and shit for you. The interface is a lot smoother than Xp, I really like how they eliminated the fucking all programs menu that devoured your screen; there is a "search as you type" box in its place. The task manager is much nicer, and opens into a larger box, I can't remember what it's called, that gives more detailed information about your cpu, ram, network, and hard drive usage. Internet Explorer is definitely much better as it now has tabs. Windows Media Player 11 is even better in Vista, it has a smoother look to it, the interface is the same as in the Xp release, though. The only major problem I encountered was installing an older game, Starcraft. It took me about 20 minutes to get the damn installer open. It runs normally after being installed, but just a warning for those attempting to install anything more than eight years old.

About the requirements, these are the absolute bare minimum for all versions:

* 800 MHz processor and 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for Super VGA graphics
* CD-ROM drive

Home Basic:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

Home Premium / Business / Ultimate:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

I wouldn't rush out to get this OS, just wait until you buy a new computer that has it already loaded, it's nice, and an improvement, but not worth a few hundred dollars.