View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM  
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebunnie View Post
I find it interesting that you need to resort to personal insults to debate your point.
Quote it, liar. I dare you.

Quote:
A parent has an absolute right to choose your religion for you.
They have an absolute right to decide what you believe in your head? Do they have a right to choose your sexuality? Do they have a right to choose what clothes you wear even if they are inappropiate for today's age or are for the wrong gender and the child doesn't wish to draw unwanted attention? Does the parent have the right to dominate everything about the child's life and not leave any decisions to them? Hell, do they have the right to force all babies to permanently lose their foreskin because of "religion"? Honsetly, never before have I met such a radical authoritarian. It makes me wonder if you're just being sarcastic.

Quote:
Just as they have an absolute right to choose your school for you, choose what health care you should get, choose what clothing you should wear when you are under 10.
I've already refuted this, see above.

Quote:
Until you reach the age you can think for yourself (the law permits this as being 18). If we say a young person should not be brain washed, then it would be the same as taking every single right that a parent has to make a decision for them.
It doesn't look like you've presevered the child's rights. What else don't the children have rights to? Freedom of abuse? Should parents be allowed to physically assault (as an example) their children now?

Quote:
I see parents as agents with ostensible authority to act for the child. They have a fiduciary duty to act with the proscription of your health and well-being. Choosing your religion falls within that proscription.
Religion and welfare is completely different. You don't need religion in order to have a good life. Religion is a personal thing which you decide to follow (and whichever one you decide) if you should so desire. There is no reason why a parent should dominate that. It would be like parents forcing their children to never masturbate even when in privacy or to only be friends with the opposite gender in case they "turn gay" (yes, some people really are this stupid). Never before have I been so baffled by a responce in VT.

Quote:
So by your theory, if religion is brainwashing, then you would not permit children to hang out with friends anymore.
No. Obviously you know absolutely nothing about me or what I stand for. How the fuck does the mere act of hanging out with friends even remotely equate to brainwashing in the same sense of forcing a child to follow a specific religion? Going by your logic, would you discipline your child if they said an Islamic prayer when they were supposed to be Christian? I sure hope not.

Quote:
Friends have more influence of children (Smoking, drinking, drugs) than religion does.
Except friends' "influences" are different from brainwashing in that they happen at a time when you are capable of thinking of yourself and are aware of the dangers and real friends will not force you into anything harmful. The defintion of friends alone probably moots your point.

Quote:
How your friends behave and think affects how you would normally think. You cannot say that "Religion" is evil but assent to other forms of social development which you consider "brainwashing".
I didn't say religion is evil. Learn to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widustman View Post
well iam not in to the the hardcore religion things like most ppl are but iam Roman Catholic and i am not sure how the christian and Catholics are alike. i know it has to do with beliving in one god i think.
Roman Catholism is a branch of Christianity. For all extents and purposes, they believe more or less the same things as other Christians, except with a few differences with interpretations of the bible, such as views on certain "matters" (*cough**cough* mundane things) such as contraception and homosexuality (not to say that all Catholics will find this wrong and all non-Catholics won't, since this isn't the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Mormon
Guessed as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote