View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM  
Default Re: Can Women have it all?

Hmm that is quite wrong.. Non of those things count in reality.. Most companies want 1 thing.. PROFIT! Now I dont know about the US or rest of the world but I am pretty much sure its the same everywhere.. In my homecountry they did a survey on people who asked for a raise..

2/3 Men got a raise

1/3 Women did

But yes in some fields expierince does matter to surten companies but a person who has expierince hasnt necessarily worked at a place for 10 years.. And the point is in here atleast and im sure in most places.. The pay is already unequal from the start.. And even if 1 man and 1 woman would have the exact same ''record'' of education and expierince and the exact same job.. The man would get paid more
First off your argument is contradictors as you start by saying that I am "quite wrong" and then end with saying that in some fields experience does matter. Also I consider "time at company" and "experience" to be untumately tied, but also different as you say.

im sure in most places.. The pay is already unequal from the start..
Making assumptions that the pay is already unequal (as you say above) as a constant variable in a problem isn't the way to go about it, as my question was to asses whether it was a factor or not. (kind of like using a word to define itself)

Non of those things count in reality... companies care about profit
(referring to my "factors")

Yes companies care about profit, but that doesn't mean that they don't pay their workers that are better qualified less. This strive for profit means that they want better (may it me higher quality or cheaper) products and or services, and thus they want better workers to do these jobs. If there are multiple companies that would like a worker, because that worker happens to be more qualified, this causes competition over this worker which ends up in that worker ultimately getting paid more.

How much you are paid is tied directly in to the factors that I have listed and I know for a fact that they do with certain professions. The best example of this that I can think of is that my history teacher told me that because he has a masters degree he gets paid more annually and also that because he has worked at the school for a while he also gets a pay increase form that. The same is also true for public schools (he taught public school in Montana)

Hence how lawyers get paid more than clerks, the lawyer had to go to law school for many years and also pass rigorous exams, the clerk did not.

I think that both of us in essence are hoping for the same thing. A world where if a man and a woman both tried to get the same job, instead of their gender, they would instead be judged by their ability to do the job and all that it entails.
cmpcmp is offline   Reply With Quote