Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM  
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDon'tLikeUsernames View Post
to Obscene Eyedeas, I agree. If a person wants to debate, they shouldn't feel threatened when their ideas and points are put down. And it's true that I can't do anything about people who argue to feel better than other people. I just wanted to state my opinion. My friends and I were talking about different religions and one of them brought up the fact that they didn't understand hijaabs. My other friend (who's a muslim) told her that it represented modesty. The first friend then told her, "A boy wouldn't hit on you just because your hair is showing." Both of them then proceeded to debate all the things that a hijaab represents. This is a good debate. A bad debate was with my friend and another person who called her close-minded for wearing a hijaab. That person only meant to critisize and insult her and that's what I find wrong. They weren't trying to get a point across.
That isn't debating, just ignorance. It is only to insult as they know it will annoy or upset the girl. That is something that exists regardless of religion, it will happen for anything that makes a person different. That is mere ignorance which should not be equated with debaters, however one will admit some debaters are ignorant on their own religion and others. Sometimes it's about stroking their ego sometimes it is because they just dislike a person it is rarely actually to do with religion.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Obscene Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote