Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM  
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: December 2, 2009
Location: Wherever I feel like it.
Gender: Female
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
You guys wrote a whole bunch of stuff, and I am feeling a little too lazy to do the quote thing. As for the delusion/placebo effect idea, I have already considered that and you have just as much proof for that as I have for it being caused by God.
Actually I have more evidence about the placebo effect then you will ever have on your theory. The placebo effect is a proven theory. "At week 36, the response rate was 82 percent in the initial placebo group and 83 percent in the active treatment groups, which certainly argues for some level of sustained placebo effect ("Patients who responded to placebo generally retained their response," the study authors note.) The remission rate was 48 percent in the initial placebo patients and 59 percent in the active treatment groups" http://www.furiousseasons.com/archiv...on_trials.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
I am not asking that you believe what I'm saying, only that you believe that this is what I believe. @obscene eyedeas: the last paragraph you wrote had some very good arguments compared to the rest of the stuff so I'll just pick on that. Where you said "It has been found that within this reality and this dimension" is the key phrase. God is not confined to this dimension considering the fact that he created it along with time itself.
There is no proof of that however I will address it. If something is metaphysical there is no proof that it can act in this universe. To create the universe and to have sent his son to earth he must have had a measurable quantity in some shape or form. It is this universe and this reality we talk about as you say he created it, however it is impossible to create something you cannot interact with. We cannot split a neutron into two up quarks and a down quark with our hands however with equipment and building blocks we can measure them and we can break down the neutron. So therefore each party in an interaction must have a measurable quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
It's kind of like if this dimension was a line on a sheet of paper then God would be above and beyond the line and even the paper. As for what spirit is,— I think both of you guys have statements relating to this— I have no clue at all. I only know that is isn't matter but is able to interact with and become matter.
In order to be able to interact with matter something must consist of matter or anti matter which both have mass. God would have to be matter as if he was anti matter he would have annihilated everything he touched. To interact with matter he must have a measurable quantity at a certain point and that would have to be measurable meaning God as you so believe in him would not be metaphysical but a measurable quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
Lastly,— I have already addressed this, so I don't know why you still bring it up— but I am not saying that matter can't be eternal. I am saying that in order for it to be eternal there must be a complete lack of activity, which there isn't.
Why must there be? Is it because you believe or you have proven something that no one person has ever proven. You also rule out recycling, matter is always recycled, changed from one form to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT DISCUSSING RELIGION, STOP POSTING, PLEASE.
Just because you do not wish to argue something with people does not mean they will stop posting, if you do not have adequate knowledge to reply then say so. If you do then reply, that's why you are in a debate thread.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Obscene Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote