Thread: Global Warming
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM  
Rogue 4

Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0= View Post
Yeah, do you have anything to back up your claim that it wont be disastrous?
If that was directed at me, I have plenty of examples where mankind has cried doomsday and it hasn't come to pass.

It used to be that a solar eclipse was a bad omen, but did that omen ever pass? I'm sure a few people tripped over something while it was dark, though.

During the cold war, everyone was sure it was going to end in complete annihilation, that we would nuke ourselves into oblivion. Or at least, the media was . . .

Let's not forget being told that all fossil fuels would be used up early into the new millennium.

Speaking of 2000, how about that Y2K "Virus" (not a virus in any way, but for some reason, people like to call it that)?

How about Bush and WMDs in Iraq?

Hey, the Mayans say the world will end in 2016!

. . . clearly it's human nature to grandstand, to want attention, or to exaggerate. Everyone, Gore included, will strive to further their pet cause. People like their issue of choice to be the most important one.

Global warming certainly appears to be happening, don't get me wrong, but it lends as much of itself to human nature as any other issue.

Human beings lack the ability to perfectly predict the future. We either overestimate or underestimate the effects of a future event. Now, since Gore is suggesting a catastrophe on the level of everything short of complete extinction, it's obviously overestimation. Besides, it helps him champion his pet cause even more if it looks more serious, so why not blow it out of proportion?

Furthermore, even if he was right, you all should sit back and enjoy the show. Why? Human nature, of course. Let me explain.

Why do you think people applaud Gore and friends when they are presented with the APOCALYPSE!? Because it represents an issue they alone can do nothing to stop, and furthermore, Gore never presents a strategy to fix the problem, at least not one that hurts our way of life. The best you'll get from him is reducing emissions, and not by enough to make any difference. We love to be told that there is a massive problem, and that all we have to do is glare at factory owners and automobile manufacturers until they cut back their emissions. It doesn't have any huge direct impact on our lives (the fixing part), and it effectively is our problem but isn't our problem to fix. It satisfies that same urge people have to criticize their leadership when they didn't even participate in the election. And so, we will go on living, for the most part, as we always have.

According to human nature, we will adapt accordingly, and do what we must, but only when it's crunch time, unless it pleases us in some way to do it sooner. That means that as the problem gets worse, we will cut back more and more drastically, and eventually an equilibrium will be achieved. With 95% accuracy, the human race will exist for at least about 5000 more years, so we're not ALL going to die in Gore's planet warming. So the best advice I can give you is sit back and watch what I've told you of happen.

Now, it's late, and if there's some bad grammar, or bad examples, I'd be happy to come back and clarify. 'Later.

Quote:
Plato once said there was a perfect form of everything -- a perfect dog, a perfect chair, a perfect man -- and that everything was a shadow of this one perfect form. Now, if we follow this line of thinking, that means that somewhere in the universe there is the perfect form of the perfect, absolute and complete idiot, and he left here an hour ago.

-- Gideon, Babylon 5
Rogue 4 is offline   Reply With Quote