View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM  
Rogue 4
Default Re: three strikes law

Originally Posted by serial-thrilla View Post
it shouldnt even be a fine. a joint is less dangerous then a bottle of wine.
Well, many things are more or less dangerous than a bottle of wine, depending on what you do with the bottle

Anyway, in regards to the three strikes law, it varies considerably. The law (in most places) itself is that after being convicted of two felonies, upon conviction of a third you receive the punishment of life in prison. I agree with it completely in some ways, and disagree with it in others.

If a person rapes a ten year old girl on two different occasions and is found guilty, then yes, if they are found guilty of raping another girl, they should be put in prison for good. If a person has attempted to murder another human being three seperate times, then yes, they should be put away for life. But then there are the more stupid laws to consider . . .

I recall reading a story awhile back, that a man convicted of kidnapping (one of his own children, who he didn't harm, and had no intent to harm) on two occasions got sentenced to life in prison. What was his third crime? He destroyed a porcelaine toilet bowel in a public restroom. Destruction of public property valued at over $50 is a felony . . .

That kind of instance needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. I think someone put away for life for destroying a toilet is one of the most tragic things I've ever heard of. Certainly, in that case, the punishment far exceeds the crime. I say the three strikes rule messed up on that case.

Plato once said there was a perfect form of everything -- a perfect dog, a perfect chair, a perfect man -- and that everything was a shadow of this one perfect form. Now, if we follow this line of thinking, that means that somewhere in the universe there is the perfect form of the perfect, absolute and complete idiot, and he left here an hour ago.

-- Gideon, Babylon 5