Old December 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM  
Kiros
Retired Administrator

Kiros's Forum Picture

Name: Ben
Default Re: Spell check + Firefox = :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahages View Post
And, anyway, IE sucks. Avant is based off IE. If I want to use IE for something, I open it in Firefox, using the IETab extension. There's no point in using a different browser.
Just because Internet Explorer comes with an operating system doesn't mean it sucks. You have no backing or reason for saying that - besides spite. If you want to use IE for something, then use it? Why would you want to use a type of browser for something and then use another? That's ridiculous. There's no point in using a different browser. If you were given Internet Explorer, then use it - and by using Avant Browser, you'd also be using Internet Explorer - use one browser for goodness sake.

Quote:
Of course, it doesn't use Google for its search engine by default. I had to rig it to use it. Otherwise, it uses the crappy looking Avant search thingy, based on Yahoo.
Anderson is one person... Not a big development team like Mozilla has. He can code everything that he needs, but he needs sponsors for his online hosts. This is most definitely why he has Yahoo! as the default search engine. Besides, Avant Browser gives you the options to change those, and if you install the Google Toolbar, then use it instead of Avant Browser's default search bar. Also, Avant Browser has a cool feature for searching; for quick searching, simply type in the abbreviation assigned to a search engine and then your search topic. For instance, if I wanted to use Google to search for "pie and noodles," I would type "g pie and noodles" into Avant Browser's address bar. You can change the configuration for (or add to) the quick searches in the options.

Quote:
The Menu bar is screwy. It's up in the upper right corner, and you don't seem to be able to move it to where it "Should be." I mean, I can move the entire bar, but that leaves it in the same right hand side.
That's Avant Browser's signature Compact Style. As I said earlier, I don't use it except for a kiosk or when I have to have the maximum space for browsing but with access to all my options. Of course, there's also Full Screen and Full Desktop modes too. To change Avant Browser out of Compact Style, simply go to View >> Compact Style.

Quote:
Something else that is messed. Oddly, in Avant, there is no "Open in New Tab." It's grayed-out. Just "Open in New Window" remains. And, yet, it opens a new tab. Not a new window. Why would they do that? I like FF's way of doing this. I open new Tabs and Windows all the time. I like having seperate windows with Tabs within those windows, especially if it's something I'm trying to couple together, or whatever. I don't like having every last tab in the same window. The "Weird Key" is either pressing the scroll wheel button on the link, or holding control+clicking on the link to open it in a new tab. This is the same for Avant. Well... The Scroll click is. The Control Click doesn't work. IE7 uses the same thing FF does.
Unfortunately, the "Open in New Tab" and "Open in New Window" options come directly from Internet Explorer, not Avant Browser. While Internet Explorer 6 doesn't have tabs by default, it uses new windows. Internet Explorer 7 uses tabs, so you have that option. To prevent bugging, Avant Browser intercepts the "Open in New Tab" option that comes from Internet Explorer and disables it. And I do like the default action of opening in tabs, as that's what a tabbed browser was meant to do.

Quote:
In order to open a new Window in Avant, I have to manually go down to the System Tray Icon and tell it to open a new browser. That brings up another issue. Why would you want a tray icon for it in the first place? And, when you open a new window, it creates another system tray icon. So, for example, if I had the same Windows of Avant open as I do FF right now, I would have 6 system tray icons for Avant. Which, is pointless.
First of all, you have to do everything "manually" in any browser, even if it's just clicking. In Avant Browser, you can either use it's Tray Icon or use File >> New Avant Browser. Now the Tray Icon can easily be disabled if the user doesn't like it. Normally, though, tray icons are very convenient. Though the reason a new tray icon appears is because a new Avant Browser is created, not just a child window. Though you wouldn't have to worry about using new Avant Browsers because it actually uses the tabbing by default for new windows. Making new windows in a tabbed browser is pretty pointless.

Quote:
FF 3 (Alpha, so I'm not using this as a huge point) displays the Acid2 test flawlessly. Avant, since it's based on IE6/7, fails. The Smilie looks like it's been slaughtered. But, I guess I can't blame Avant on that, because it's using IE.... Well...
Wow, that's a big accomplishment, seen as how Firefox 2.0.0.1 (which is incredibly recent) displays the Acid2 just as bad as Internet Explorer 6/7. Let's all rejoice! Mozilla has spent the past 4 years trying to pass the Acid2 test and they've finally done it! Well... Unofficially of course... Firefox 2 just came out a couple months ago, so it will be a long, long time before Firefox 3 becomes common knowledge, and then some time after that it might be released. No guarantees of course

Quote:
Just from my experience, IE-based browsers are more prone to spyware, seeing that they have activex controls, and the such. The only other way I've gotten spyware with a browser is to actually download the program, and install it.
Because of it's incomparable compatibility with everything out there, Internet Explorer not only can be prone to malicious software, but it can be better protected against it. My Norton Internet Security can keep tabs on everything downloaded before it's even rendered when I'm using Avant Browser (or Internet Explorer).

Quote:
Also, when I look at the list of Avant windows (I have 6 open right now, just to compare with how I'm using FF) I cannot tell which is which. They all say "Avant Browser." There's no distinguishing title on any of them. When I do the same with FF or, even IE, I see "VirtualTeen Forums," or "Google."
Yes, because it's a tabbed browser, not a windowed one. New Avant Browsers can be created, but as I stated before, they're not simply child windows, they're new Avant Browsers. The only time I would even think of using a new Avant Browser (when I have one already opened) is if someone else wants to browse the internet and I don't want their stuff to get mixed up with mine. This could also be solved by switching Windows accounts though.

Quote:
The only real things I can think of right now, that I do like about Avant is that it is opening separate processes for each new "Window" I open, and Avant seems to use less RAM in some cases. Though, I have a GB of ram, so that's not an issue. The Separate processes aren't a huge issue, because if FF does crash, it reopens my last state anyway. So, having separate processes isn't a huge issue.
Well, not only does Avant Browser usually use less RAM, it also starts up noticeably faster. Though one thing that I don't think you realize (at least when you made that post) is that new Avant Browsers are new browsers, not new windows. That's why it opens new processes - it's a whole new browser, not a child window. Another nice feature Avant Browser has is that it automatically saves each tab's website address. This means that if Avant Browser (or the operating system) crashes, Avant Browser will prompt you to see if you would like to open the saved links. I presume this is what Firefox does, except for the prompting. Avant Browser can also do the same thing when you're exiting. Simply use File >> 'Save All Opened Pages and Exit' and you'll be prompted to open the same pages the next time you open Avant Browser.

Quote:
Avant, to me, just seems like Firefox, but using an IE Base. Sure, there's a few things that are better in Avant then in FF (Most of which, don't relate to the IE part), and there are a few things that are better in FF. I just don't see a point in using it. I could use IETab for FF if I ever wanted to use an IE window. Maybe if they fixed some of those issues I talked about above, I might like it better.
The way I see it, if you have Windows, then use what you're given, or (even better) use an extension to give you what you want. With Avant Browser, I never see the need in using Firefox or Opera, or even Internet Explorer (directly) anymore.

Well, I hope I explained in enough detail. If you have anymore points about it, please bring them up.

(Yes, this thread's kind of gotten off the main topic, but ... ya know...)

Oh boy... This reminds me of a projekt I never got around to... That Avant Browser guide. Ugh! >_< Meh... I have a few more days off from school, I'll try and compile it in that time.

Kiros || Ben

Happiness is not about being perfect.
It is about seeing beyond the imperfections.
Kiros is offline   Reply With Quote