View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM  
Phantom
Awesome Poster

Phantom's Forum Picture

Default Re: Government "fairness" creates monopolies. Here is the evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
i dont know the full legal position on monopolies and all that jazz in America, but in Ireland monopolies are not allowed to exist. this also applies to European Union countries. also any situation which a company takes over another that could result in teh company having a monopoly are forbidon. for example Ryanair, an Irish airline, proposed to purchase the state airline Aer Lingus. the EU would not allow this to happen, because it would have resulted in Ryanair control.

so from my experience, government fairness do prevent monopolies.
In the US the government creates monopolys not prevents them.

Now for the EU controlling what businesses can buy and cannot buy is VERY restrictive and unfair by my opinion. You do know that if Aer Lingus didn't want to sell their business, they don't have to, they do not need a government telling them they should not sell their business.

There is no such thing as a monopoly. Call me crazy.

The Free market is all about who benefits the consumer the most.
If some giant corporation owned all the business in say, milk (like the article)
you would normally think thats unfair because the people are FORCED to buy it (which in itself is not true). Some other small company could come around (like that guy) and figure out a better way to do it. Or offer better service.

The free market is also about competition. Take the computer industry. In video cards. When the free market competes and functions as it should (without government control) company's naturally compete. This benefits the consumer, as they compete for quality products and lower prices.
Now say the government in the name of "fairness" installed just NVIDIA as the sole producer. What would you get? Shit service, much higher prices and crappy products.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself John Stuart Mill
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4...rtarianlq5.png
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote