Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie
Default Re: Decision to take oath on Koran Sparks Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprisoned Wisdom View Post
Newly Elected Muslim Lawmaker Under Fire
Decision to Take Oath on Koran Sparks Controversy

By Andrea Stone, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON (Dec. 1) -- The first Muslim elected to Congress hasn't been sworn into office yet, but his act of allegiance has already been criticized by a conservative commentator. In a column posted Tuesday on the conservative website Townhall.com, Dennis Prager blasted Minnesota Democrat Keith Ellison's decision to take the oath of office Jan. 4 with his hand on a Quran, the Muslim holy book.

"He should not be allowed to do so," Prager wrote, "not because of any American hostility to the Koran, but because the act undermines American culture."

He said Ellison, a convert from Catholicism, should swear on a Christian Bible -- which "America holds as its holiest book. … If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."

The post generated nearly 800 comments on Townhall.com and sparked a tempest in the conservative blogosphere. Many who posted comments called the United States a Christian country and said Muslims are beginning to gain too much influence. Others wrote about the separation of church and state and said the Constitution protects all religions.
I know your all gonna be mad at me and tecnically i'm not American
but I agree with dennis
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote