View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM  
Phantom
Awesome Poster

Phantom's Forum Picture

Default Re: Patriotism

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dissident* View Post
Why would I defend my country no matter what? Maybe if we started treating the whole world fairly, instead of just ourselves, and we finally reached the pinnacle of freedom and human goodness, and had strived for peace instead of starting the war ourselves, and the threat was a REAL one, maybe then i would consider defending my country, but the problem is, I think killing is wrong. No matter what
So if china invaded and started gassing us like they have wanted to for some time you would not be out there fighting? I know I sure as hell would. You may call me cold hearted but I find no problem killing people in self defense.

Now for the topic.

BLIND PATRIOTISM is a bad thing, as can be seen in Nazi Germany, they all thought they were patriots and loved their country.

Now Patriotism by itself is good.
Its not just fighting over little spots of land, its fighting for freedom (in US and many other country's cases) its fighting for what your country stands for freedom, justice, everything good we have and all our rights.
You and others seem to think that our freedom and rights that we have in this country are free o but let me tell you something they are far from it. thousands if not millions of good men that loved their country made us this way. I think that my rights and freedoms ARE worth protecting.
You can't protest the government in NK now can you.

What do you think would happen if everybody was unpatriotic?
Well nobody would join the military to protect us and we would be invaded right away and killed.

Now I am joining the military when I turn 18 and it really pisses me off that some people think that its a waste protecting your country and its freedoms.
Or that call our troops that protect us baby killers or any number of other things.

I KNOW that our freedoms and rights are worth protecting. That is why I am patriotic. If you are unpatriotic you basically think that our rights and freedoms are givens which they definitely are not.
You can't go to north Korea and say Dear leader (actually title) I want my freedoms as a human being and my rights, now I think your government sucks are you are a dumb fascist. Well needless to say you would be dead in 2 seconds. Yet in US and other country's you can say that all you want without fear, now I think THAT is worth protecting and is why I love my country and am patriotic.

Now for the quotes

"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him". ~Abraham Lincoln

Here is a great one

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle." ~George William Curtis

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave". ~Elmer Davis

"If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." ~Hamilton Fish

... ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
~ John F. Kennedy

And last but not least one of my personal favorites

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" - John Stuart Mill

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself John Stuart Mill
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4...rtarianlq5.png
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote