View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:52 PM  
Dante
Legendary Member

Default School Bus tragedy!

Two Dead in Alabama School Bus Crash

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (Nov. 20) - A school bus carrying high school students veered off an interstate overpass and crashed nose-first 30 feet below, killing at least two students and causing numerous injuries, seven described as critical, school officials said.

Keith Ward, a spokesman for Huntsville city schools, confirmed that at least two students died. More than 30 students were aboard the bus when it plunged off I-565, with most either taken to hospitals or treated at the scene, where injured students were wrapped in sheets awaiting medical help.

Seven suffered injuries listed as critical, state Department of Education spokeswoman Brooke Thorington said in Montgomery. There were conflicting reports on the extent of injuries to the driver. The front of the bus was crushed on impact.

"This is a heartbreaking tragedy," said Gov. Bob Riley.

Huntsville police spokesman Wendell Johnson said 23 students were taken to two hospitals - Huntsville Hospital and Crestwood Medical Center.

"Huntsville has never seen an accident like this," Johnson said.

Ward said the bus went off the I-565 overpass and crashed about 30 feet below the roadway.

He said the bus was transporting Lee High School students who attend the Center for Technology in Huntsville, where students can receive special science and math credits. He said he assumed the bus was leaving the center when the wreck occurred.

There was no immediate word on what may have caused the bus to plunge off the interstate in downtown Huntsville, a north Alabama city that is home to Marshall Space Flight Center and Redstone Arsenal.

11/20/2006 14:18:38 EST

If Any Member needs to talk to me about anything, Just PM me, the door is always open.

My blog: Blog...
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote