View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM  
infextus disease
Junior Member+

infextus disease's Forum Picture

Default Re: its hard for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence View Post
I'm sorry this may seem harsh but you can't be "just done with it." The urges are going to be there for a really long time. An example - an alcoholic. They can't just throw away their urges to pick up a bottle, they fight it. They have urges every day of their lives, but they choose to fight it, as much as I hate to say it, it's an addiction. Hun, cutting's the same way, the urges are going to be there but you have to find something else to do it relieve it other than picking up that razor, another outlet.
-Heather
cutting is an addiction. medically speaking this is what happens when you cut or self injure. your nervous system sences pain. your bodies natural reaction to pain is to release addrenoline and other chemicals. these chemicals are said to be infinitly better or rather more effective than say morphene or codien. once you are used to having these chemicals in your system you become essentialy chemicaly dependent just like an alcoholic. your body will end up craving these chemicals and because you have the habbit of cutting to release these chemicals your brain subconsciously links cutting to these feel good drugs. thus cutting is NOT an addiction, the chemical relase caused by cutting is the addiction.

so how to work around this... there are many things that can release adrenoline or my personal favorite endorphines into your blood stream. one of the most pro-active one is physical activities. running, walking, biking, swimming, tennis, hacky-sack w/e you prefer. if you get the urge to cut replace the thought of cutting with the thought of doing an activity that you enjoy.

i used to cut i admit that. ive been self injury free for over a year now. at first when i was trying to quit cutting i had some issues and yes even relapses where i thought i was okay i thought everything was okay n the next thing i knew i was cutting... so im not going to lie to you and say its easy cuz its not. ne ways i started playing hacky-sack again n it helped me quite a bit. if i got really stressed out i would honestly go out side in my back yard and split wood... the good thing about that is it either calmed me down to the point where i didnt wanna cut again or i was too tired to even think about it any more.

another way to help curve the urges is to meditate. sounds kinda hoaky i know but im not talkin about sitting down with your hands on your knees saying "owwwummmm" just where ever you are think about happy things, think about things that you really want as long as they are positive.

to continue on... if its really bad call a friend up, somone you trust n see if you two cant go for a walk to just walk n talk.

ps. another plus to physical activity is it gets your blood flowing and more oxygento your brain which allows you to think more clearly. pm me if you wanna talk some more about this

if you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you shall also suffer defeat ~ Sun Tzu
infextus disease is offline   Reply With Quote