View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM  
Dante
Legendary Member

Default Cindy Sheehan arrested again!

WASHINGTON (Nov. 8) - Activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested Wednesday as she led about 50 protesters to a White House gate to deliver anti-war petitions.

The California woman, whose son was killed in Iraq more than two years ago, was arrested along with three other women on the sidewalk ouside the White House gate, sat Lt. Scott Fear, a U.S. Park Police spokesman. They were charged with interfering with a government function.

Before the arrests, Sheehan joined the protesters in hailing the outcome of Tuesday's elections and chanting "Stop the War" outside the White House gate. They demanded that White House officials accept petitions she said were signed by 80,000 Americans,

"They have to take (the petitions); it's our First Amendment right," said Sheehan, who waited about 15 minutes at the gate with other protesters before tossing the petitions over the fence. "It was taking too long for them to decide whether to accept them or not, so we just delivered them."

Sheehan, 49, of Berkeley, Calif., began protesting the war near President Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch following the April 2004 death of her oldest son, 24-year-old Army Spc. Casey Sheehan. Although Bush met with Sheehan and others in June 2004, she has tried repeatedly to see the president again.

Wednesday's protest came as the White House announced the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

"He's being offered as a sacrificial lamb," said Sheehan, adding that she would not stop protesting until American forces are out of Iraq.

Sheehan and other protesters also said Americans showed displeasure with U.S. military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan in Tuesday's elections, which cost Republicans control of the House and possibly the Senate.

While large protests have not been allowed to get closer to the White House than Lafayette Park since the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, U.S. Park Police allowed Sheehan and other protesters to bring their smaller demonstration to the White House sidewalk outside the wrought iron fence that surrounds the executive mansion.

The petitions tossed over the White House fence were presented as an open letter to Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, opposing use of military force to resolve the dispute over Iran's nuclear program.

"Iran does not possess nuclear weapons, just as Iraq did not possess nuclear weapons," the petitions said.

11/08/06 18:50 EST

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first when she started to speak out against the war, I felt for her because she lost her son in the war. But now, I think she just doing this for attention, and shes really pissing me off by doing it.

If Any Member needs to talk to me about anything, Just PM me, the door is always open.

My blog: Blog...
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote