Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM  
Amnesiac
Lost Child

Amnesiac's Forum Picture

Name: Justin
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Nomad View Post
Yes, I like to bring this up when the say "Hurr what make big bang?!?, NOthing? Ttaht;s silly!"

I can say the same to about your God, what brought God?Nothing? Then simply strike out that metaphysical and mythological being called God, and we can say Universe came about by itself. It doesn't need a purpose to exist at all.
I'm going to take a moment here to explain how the big bang theory works. If anyone comes here and says "HURR WHAT STARTED THE BIG BANG" after I post this, you're an idiot.

The Big Bang was not the "explosion" that started the universe. It was the point where all the matter that makes up the universe was condensed into one infinitely small point with infinite density and temperature. Since we know the Universe is expanding (galaxies are moving away from each other), the Universe had to be infinitely dense and hot at some point in history — this is known as a singularity, the point where most (if not all) scientific theories "break down" (see below). The Universe did not suddenly explode into being, the time when it was infinitely dense and hot is what scientists label the "Big Bang". After that period, the Universe expanded rapidly due to the sheer amount of energy inside it — as it expanded, the rate of expansion slowed as the matter within the Universe organized itself.

As explained in Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, it is impossible to explain what happened before the Big Bang, since modern scientific theory is only able to explain what happened after the Big Bang singularity. Therefore, time started when the Big Bang happened, leaving everything else before the Big Bang irrelevant. A direct quote:

Quote:
Hubble’s observations suggested that there was a time, called the big bang, when the universe was infinitesimally small and infinitely dense. Under such conditions all the laws of science, and therefore all ability to predict the future, would break down. If there were events earlier than this time, then they could not affect what happens at the present time. Their existence can be ignored because it would have no observational consequences.
The future of the universe depends greatly on what shape the universe is, and how fast it is expanding.

In an "open" universe, the Universe is expanding at a rate fast enough to avoid re-collapsing into a singularity again due to the forces of gravity (which is what would happen in a "closed" universe). A "flat" universe is similar; it is expanding slowly, fast enough to avoid re-collapsing but at a slower rate as time goes on. As can be seen, all three of these possible ways the Universe is growing started at the Big Bang singularity and expanded rapidly before slowing to its present rate (whatever that might be).

That's my brief summary of the Big Bang theory. It doesn't cover nearly everything, but it gives you all the basic info about what the theory really says, not "HURR BIG EXPLOSION". I don't want to see any bullshit responses to this; this is entirely based on solid sources which can be found here and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
Yeah, I'd be depressed too if I listened to Chad Kroeger.

Last edited by Amnesiac; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote