View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM  
Ancient Gmod
Whisper's Forum Picture
Name: Kodie
Default Re: Want to understand

The first thing I want to make very clear is we DON'T want to die so don't think that, its actually the exact oposite self-harm is a "gift of survival" so to speak it can be the most integrative and self-preserving choice from a very limited field of options.

hmmmm....okay im going to paste a list of common reasons from a site I found when I was like 15, I've bolded the ones that fit me if this dosent answer your question just tell me and i'll try again or you have more just ask

Escape from emptiness, depression, and feelings of unreality.

Easing tension.

Providing relief: when intense feelings build, self-injurers are overwhelmed and unable to cope. By causing pain, they reduce the level of emotional and physiological arousal to a bearable one.

Relieving anger: many self-injurers have enormous amounts of rage within. Afraid to express it outwardly, they injure themselves as a way of venting these feelings.

Escaping numbness: many of those who self-injure say they do it in order to feel something, to know that they're still alive. {Used to be me}

Grounding in reality, as a way of dealing with feelings of depersonalization and dissociation

Maintaining a sense of security or feeling of uniqueness

Obtaining a feeling of euphoria

Preventing suicide

Expressing emotional pain they feel they cannot bear

Obtaining or maintaining influence over the behavior of others

Communicating to others the extent of their inner turmoil

Communicating a need for support

Expressing or repressing sexuality

Expressing or coping with feelings of alienation

Validating their emotional pain -- the wounds can serve as evidence that those feelings are real

Continuing abusive patterns: self-injurers tend to have been abused as children.

Punishing oneself for being "bad"

Obtaining biochemical relief: there is some thought that adults who were repeatedly traumatized as children have a hard time returning to a "normal" baseline level of arousal and are, in some sense, addicted to crisis behavior self-harm can perpetuate this kind of crisis state

Diverting attention (inner or outer) from issues that are too painful to examine

Exerting a sense of control over one's body

Preventing something worse from happening

Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote