Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:18 AM  
Rogue 4

Default Re: Religion

First off, a Biblical Christian sees there only being one way into heaven. We don't look at their religion, if it isn't Christianity, it's all the same. That said, we hate no one, and only dislike the actions of people, not the people themselves. Hate the sin, love the sinner. But that's your Biblical Christian. There are plenty of people that don't hold to this, but that's their doing, not that of the faith. You don't look any better to a Biblical Christian than an Atheist. And, unfortunately, even though you claim this, you'll have a hard time finding any other religion that flat-out says Christians go to hell. If you can find one, tell me, and I'll rethink my logic. If you can't, Christianity says all other religions go to hell. Now, perhaps I should have reworded my logic, but consider just the two above options. Which choice seems better to you to avoid damnation?

Next, under the above assumption, for simplicity sake, let's look at your number problem (AGAIN). It doesn't matter what your default chance is for this concept. Not in the least, so even if it is imaginary, real, or is a function in and of itself, it does not matter. If my chance is -8000 by default, -8000 + any positive value (whether it can be measured or not) will be more than -8000. It doesn't matter even if it was -8000, ANY NUMBER, OR VARIABLE WILL WORK. Can we agree on that? Now, once again, under the assumption of only Christians and Non-Christians (UNTIL YOU CAN NAME ME ONE RELIGION THAT FLAT OUT SAYS CHRISTIANS GO TO HELL, OR THAT ANY NON-BELIEVER FLAT OUT GOES TO HELL), we find that ones odds are better if they are Christian, because a Christian does not go to hell in their religon or anyone elses. So, to increase one's odds by being Christian (AND IT WOULD BE A POSITIVE INCREASE, NO?) would be X (X get's to be our anything, it doesn't matter what it is) + Y (Y is anything positive. Anything at all). And X + Y, where Y cannot be negative, will always be greater than just X. And even if you find a religion that says all non-believers are cast into a hell of sorts, I can still rework this whole thing with ease to show just trying to pick the right one is better than not picking one at all. That is, your odds are better. Does this make it clear to you? You cannot win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Finally, I haven't put a hard number on anything. I cannot guarantee we go to heaven based off math. I cannot tell you who would go to heaven with math. However, I can tell you where your odds are better, as there's no hard numbers involved. I'll give another analogy. I cannot guarantee which planets will get hit by the most asteroids, but I can tell you that the odds are better that the larger planets get hit. I cannot say how many asteroids, the size of them, or the definite size of the planet. But, I can tell you a bigger planet is more likely to be hit. If you don't understand this last part, as I'm leaving it most unexplained, I'd be happy to clear up any confusion, but the two above paragraphs should be understood, period. To say anything contrary would be nothing more than fighting for the sake of a fight, unless there is some HUGE detail I haven't considered. But I doubt that. Please, let's move on unless it's about my last point. I'll help you understand that if you don't get it, because I haven't gone into much detail on it. Everything else is gone. Let it go.

Quote:
Plato once said there was a perfect form of everything -- a perfect dog, a perfect chair, a perfect man -- and that everything was a shadow of this one perfect form. Now, if we follow this line of thinking, that means that somewhere in the universe there is the perfect form of the perfect, absolute and complete idiot, and he left here an hour ago.

-- Gideon, Babylon 5

Last edited by Rogue 4; October 12th, 2006 at 01:35 AM.
Rogue 4 is offline   Reply With Quote