Thread: Religion
View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM  
Rogue 4

Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcmp View Post
I didn't read the whole big thing yet, but u do argue that being religious isn't bad as when you die you can't loose, but unfortunatley for what you think
-there are 1000's of religions out there
-Many (most?) of which require you to only belive in that religion

so since you can't definitivley prove that w/e is right, ur chances are down to under 1/1000. Plus whos to say that God in question didn't put religion out there as a test? and if u believe in its falsity's you don't go to heaven or where ever?

yours is a very slipery argumnet that tries to make logical sense out of something that requires faith, which almost by definition means that it doesn't make logical sense.

Plus religion doesn't abide by any rules, my religion can say that your religion means u got to hell, and yours can say that same thing about mine, can we both be right?
My argument is not as slippery as you say. First off, any religion that believes in reincarnation believes that we all will be reborn, and only endure a hellish purge if we were very bad according to the standards of the earth. I have abided by these standards, so that's one other religion where I cannot go to hell. The Jews do not believe I will go to hell, I have held their commandments dear, and I believe in their God. I have a wican friend, who has explained his religion to me somewhat, saying that only the absolute worst kind of people go to his version of hell, and those that don't believe in his religion just don't go to the highest form of heaven. Islam doesn't have a defined hell, only a heaven, and, to my knowledge, they never state that it's off-limits to anyone. Under most of these, you may go to heaven as well, but then, so may I. And if only for one other religion, my odds are still better than yours. Not to mention, I believe in the Holy Bible, Jesus Christ, and one almighty God. But even to put all that aside, logic is still on my side. And besides, even if only believing in one religion, and only one religion would get you into heaven, then my odds are still better than any person who does not believe in any religion. My argument stands. Oh, and please continue reading my post, as it seems you're the only one that is. And I am in this room for a debate, and to debunk any who would like to attempt defying the existence of God.

Quote:
Plato once said there was a perfect form of everything -- a perfect dog, a perfect chair, a perfect man -- and that everything was a shadow of this one perfect form. Now, if we follow this line of thinking, that means that somewhere in the universe there is the perfect form of the perfect, absolute and complete idiot, and he left here an hour ago.

-- Gideon, Babylon 5
Rogue 4 is offline   Reply With Quote