View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM  
Junior Member+
Default The Puberty(tanner) Stages/At What Stage Am I?

There has been an immense amount of question about people wanting to know if they are normal and what stages they are at. So to save everyone some time and VT some bandwidth I have gathered some really good information about the stages of puberty (for boys) to which the boys can look at before posting the questions. I think this will help a far few people. Now I know that this doesn’t help the late bloomers who have questions about certain things but you can just ask in the forum. Anyway here is all the information and I hope it helps!

Stage 1 is the preadolescent. There is no pubic hair (except for a fine peach fuzz similar to that on the belly and elsewhere) and the penis and testicles are in the same proportions as in childhood.

Stage 2, there is sparse growth of long, slightly darkened, pubic hair at the base of the penis. The testicles begin to get larger, and the scrotum begins to get a reddened and altered texture. The penis may grow slightly or not at all. Average age of 12 to 13 years.

Stage 3, the pubic hair gets darker, coarser, and curlier. It begins to spread over the pubic bone. The testicles continue to enlarge and the scrotum texture becomes more like that of an adult. The penis gets longer. Also the voice will break during this stage. Average age of 13 to 14years.

Stage 4, the pubic hair grows to cover the base of the penis and begins to grown on the upper part of the scrotum. The hair gets darker, coarser, and curlier. The scrotal skin gets darker as the testicles continue to grow. The penis continues to grow longer, and gets wider. The glans, or head, of the penis becomes much more prominent. Also a deepened voice will occur and the development of underarm hair. Average age of 14 to 15 years.

Stage 5, the pubic hair has spread to the inside of the thighs. The scrotum, testicles, and penis grow to their final adult size and shape at the average age of 16.5years. This stage on Average will begin at the age of 15 to 16. On average at the age of 17years there will be no more growth.

Few more notes for you guys:
These are AVERAGE ages! Just because this may not happen at this time does NOT mean it will not happen.

Your age when it comes to puberty really is dependent on your bone age, this is found by a left wrist X-ray in which the doctor will compare to other images to find your Bone Age.

Your final height is usually reached at the BONE AGE of 15 and a half years.
If you are worried that you are falling behind. Where is you are 14-15 and have not entered puberty it is advised that you see a doctor to discuss this. It is there at which the appropriate courses of action will be discussed. These actions may include waiting 6months (which I was told to do) or a coarse of testosterone injections to jump-start the process of puberty (I have had this).
Well hope it helped, cheers!