View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM  
*Dissident*
Nice Poster

*Dissident*'s Forum Picture

Default Recomended Reading

As I am sure most of you know, books (fiction or non-fiction) can enliten us and inform us, giving us new perspectives and new ideas about the they way things can work. I want to make a list of recomended reading that is both comprehensive and not on sided. please give a (brief) description of the book(s) you are recomending, as well as authors and any additional info. Here are mine to start with, in order of how much I like them (I LOVE all of them, but some i like more than others)

1. Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut. A really provacative and powerful story of a world war II soldier who can travel in time, discusses the harsh realities of life, death, love, and war.

2. Farenheit 451, by J. D. Salinger. Published in 1951, gives a very chilling account of a dreary future of government suppresion, book burning, and no free thought, as well as some elements of war.

3. Catch - 22, by Joseph Heller. Also Written in the 1950's, Catch-22 is a hilarious look at a fictional war story, the funniest book I have ever read, and also has something to say about War in it as well. ( are you sensing a theme?)

4. A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. The second funniest book I have ever read, tells a gut wrenching story of a man who (in my opinon) represents the degeneration of American pomposity. A great cultural satire, and HILARIOUS to boot.

Thats all i have for now, but post any good books relating to moral issues here. Music, Movies, and other media is acceptable, but lets try to keep it to books, please.

*EDIT* I put this in the debate forum because most of the ideas brought up in the books are very, very often topics of debate, and by reading these books, may give us new view points on old matters, or vice versa.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/875...ar77282xr4.gif

you can bomb the world to pieces
but you cant bomb it into peace

life is to short to make just on decision. musics to loud for just one station. love is to big for just one nation, and God is to big for just one religion

Come visit my diary, War is Hell! http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=104

Last edited by *Dissident*; October 5th, 2006 at 08:25 PM.
*Dissident* is offline   Reply With Quote