View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM  
Makod
Member++

Makod's Forum Picture

Default Re: Christianity- The world's most hated religion??(discuss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
How about this I bet that if your parents never taught you christianity as a child you would never believe what you do. if a child is not taught any religious crap as a child they will regect religion everytime since its not burned into them as a child and is COMPLETLY against everything in the world and common logic, thats my theory
My parents brought me up as a Roman Catholic, they brought me to church every Sunday, and I turned out to be an atheist. If the child has a strong enough will he/she will find their own beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTheLordsServantx View Post
(The following quotes are from the book "God: The Evidence"):

"- Gravity is roughly 10^39 times weaker than electromagnetism. If gravity had been 10^33 times weaker than electromagnetism, stars would be a billion times less massive and would burn a million times faster

- The nuclear weak force is 10^28 times the strength of gravity. Had the weak force been slightly weaker, all the hydrogen in the universe would have turned to become Helium (making water impossible)

- A stronger nuclear strong force (by as little as 2%) would have prevented the formation of protons - yielding a universe without atoms. Decreasing it by 5% would have given us a universe without stars

- If the difference in mass between a proton and a neutron were not exactly as it is - roughly twice the mass of an electron - then all neutrons would have become protons or vice versa. Say goodbye to chemistry as we know it-and to life.

- The very nature of water - so vital to life - is something of a mystery (a point noticed by one of the forerunners of anthropic reasoning in the 19th century, Harvard Biologist Lawrence Henderson). Unique among the molecules, water is lighter in its solid than liquid form: Ice floats. If it did not, the oceans would freeze from the bottom up and earth would now be covered with solid ice. This property in turn is traceable to unique properties of the hydrogen atom"
These things cannot be used to prove a god or gods, these are just facts about "If such and such, then there would be etc. etc."

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
i could pick up a spoon and say and believe it is a fork, but it doesnt make it a fork. like they could believe that killing people is right, but it doesnt make it right. i just go by common sense really. if a group of people go about killin people i dont think its right, cause it just isnt.
I believe there is no such thing as right or wrong, just opinions and perspectives. However just because I believe this does not make it true, it is just my opinion.

And so we ignore the beggar's cup
Praise your act in the Grand Finale
Teach the unborn the winners sign
a welcome grin to the world Royal

Last edited by Makod; September 17th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Makod is offline   Reply With Quote