View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM  
xTheLordsServantx
Member+

xTheLordsServantx's Forum Picture

Default Re: Christianity- The world's most hated religion??(discuss)

First of all, u all know i was going to get involved in this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterfile1991
I am a Christian am angered that my religion has been despised for a long time now. At my church, they showed us a video asking people on the street what they think of when they hear "Jesus Christ". A few people said "fictional" but others said things like "spiritual leader," "savior", "cool guy", "love", and "God," etc. Then they asked them what they thought of when they heard "Christianity." People gave answers like "cult," "bad," "annoying," "hatred", "intolerance," etc.

What happened, Christians??
Quote:
Well, let's go back to the beginning:

1. Roman Catholocism- The absolute worst sect of Christianity in my opinion. They contradict the Scriptures (not like they're as important as some Christians make them out to be, but we'll talk about that later) that they're supposed to be following. In the letter to the Romans, Paul talks about the Pharisees and how they believe, and everyone else thinks, that they're the spiritual leaders because they follow everything by the prostitute or a murderer. Plus, the Pope said that "God told him to invade the Holy Lands" and thus the Crusades began, and millions of Europeans died for not really anything in particular. And why do priests always get charged for molestation of young boys? I'm sorry if you're Catholic- I'm not attacking you personally. And if you're getting offended, I'm sorry, but getting offended is the beauty of living in a free country.
Well, im not catholic, but u cant let the actions of a minority of people, be the determining factor of the whole people. Basically, ur saying because a few catholic priests have done sexual acts with minors, that means that ALL catholic priests do that, which is stereotyping.

Quote:
2. Over-dependency on the Bible/scriptures. Keep in mind, zealots- They're only really old documents! Besides, in the Dark Ages, our good old friend, the Roman Catholic church, changed many many things in the Bible. Also, people are against things because the Bible "has some passage somewhere against it" but they've never actually looked through their Bible and read it there. Take, for example, the passage against homosexuality in Leviticus. First of all, Moses probably wrote it in there because it was his own personal beliefs. Homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals because gays can't help their sexuality, and why would God create gay people if it was a sin to be gay? Second of all, the passage said that gay people should be killed, which we now know is unnacceptable. Plus, Jesus kind of cancelled out the word of Moses when he was at the stoning of the prostitute, and said "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone". We can't condemn anyone, we are all sinful, no sin is greater than any other sins, so we should worry about our own faults before declaring to the gay person that God hates them.
Ok, you shouldnt be so nieve, but look at the word as a spiritual guide, created by God to guide our lives. God inspired the writers of each Gospel, just as he inspires you or me or anyone else. Example: Joel Osteen is inspired by the Lord, and look at the blessings he has received for listening. Yes, i will admit, God didnt write the Bible, man did, meaning there are going to be a few flaws, but overall, it has an overall meaning, which is what i believe we should be looking at.

Quote:
Remember, it isn't God's word, it's man's word, and humans are greedy little twits.
Thats judgement. lol.

Quote:
3. Judgmentalism- Again, Christians seem to have been gaining a "holier-than-thou" attitude, making them think that they can point out the non-Christians faults. Puh-LEASE, Christians, you aren't better people than them because you have a good church attendance record. Keep in mind that you're just as bad as they are, you're just too high on your own ego to see it.
I agree with this 100%, and admit sometimes i have even seemed as if i thought i was "more holy" then other people. But recently, i realized that nobody is more holy than another person. I agree with u. God loves us all equally. We have all sinned. WE ARE ALL SINNERS. The only distinction between Christians and non-Christians i believe is the fact that Christians have been saved and received the holy spirit, while non-Christians have not. But, that does not mean you will go to hell. But we will continue this convo later, because im tired and i wunna go to bed. night.

Quote:
Yes, I think that trying to teach non-Christians about Jesus is good, but you have to do it non-evasively, don't make the other person uncomfortable, and let them decide for themselves if they wanna be Christians.
Well, I've said my part for now. So discuss.[/quote]

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley
i hate all religions. how stupid do you have to be to believe in something that isnt real? if you have some problem, thats why people talk, not some other stupid "being" that doesnt exist.
religions are the basis of all problems in my mind. christianity mostly because it is the largest religion.
Well, I am very smart, yet i believe in religion. Also, if u can show me substantial proof that it isnt real, then i will convert to athiesm. But, i can show YOU that your "Big Bang" Theory points to God. There is a book called, "God: The Evidence" and it totally shows how if there were minor changes in the atomic structure of the elements, the sun would not exist. Ill give u quotes from the book, which was created by scientists, which proves that God really does exist.

Quote:
you have the right for free speech, i have the right mace you in the eyes.
Actually, u dont have that right because a man in Wisconsin maced his son, and now hes facing criminal charges for something like "Unrightly conduct of mace" which is against the law. So, ur wrong!

Quote:
do not try to market a religion to me, i will hurt somebody.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Forever praise Him

Please check out this website if you have any questions: http://www.gotquestions.org/archive.html

Last edited by xTheLordsServantx; September 16th, 2006 at 02:03 AM.
xTheLordsServantx is offline   Reply With Quote