Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ADD/ ADHD with OCD (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73497)

Asylum May 12th, 2010 11:46 AM

ADD/ ADHD with OCD

i have been diagnosed with both ADD/ADHD and OCD. I hear this is possibly one of the worst combinations. Is this true? I mean it makes sense because thye are opposites. OCD wants everything perfect, perfect grades, room, everything neat and organized, however iwth ADD/ADHD I can't because I'm disorganized, cna't focus and off meds so bad grades... everything is a mess. This causes me to hate myself even more because it's impossible for me to keep things the way i want them to. I try so hard, but its impossible... You should see me when i have time t clean, I get so obsessive about it, hours on organizingby colors, fabric styles, it's rdiculous... makes me laugh sometimes.. Then I"ll get distracted and the organization that I treid to obtain failed epically.. so i start again because i dind't fold the shirts right. this happens with music too, if i cna't get the piece I'm playing right, i get angry to the point i need to wakl away after a full 15 minutes focusing on one section and getting frustrated because i cna't get it right...

anyone else have both?

BeautifulDisaster May 13th, 2010 07:36 AM

Re: ADD/ ADHD with OCD

I do.

It can be very difficult to suffer from both, but I think it's very common for them to go hand in hand.

I'd suggest treatment for both.

Scarface May 13th, 2010 07:39 AM

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about maybe getting on some medication if your struggling. I have ADHD and I know it's hard enough to try and deal with that, but OCD has to make it harder. My best advice is to concentrate on one thing at a time and breathe. Don't try to overwhelm yourself with a lot of activities and things to do at one, Concentrate. I hope everything works out for you.

Dorsum Oppel May 17th, 2010 06:31 PM

I have both as well.

Now, OCD does not necessarily mean neat and organized. I collect stones from wherever I go, knock on doors 4 times before I enter them, I can hardly use scissors because I keep opening and closing them, and I tap mouses excessively. I also have intrusive thoughts. I as well have ADHD, and tourette's.

You can't do medication with these though. ADHD meds make the OCD worse, and OCD meds make the ADHD worse. So, we're basically stuck.

BeautifulDisaster May 19th, 2010 08:27 AM

^^ Not necessarily, there are therapies & strategies that can help with both.

Asylum May 19th, 2010 11:28 AM

thanx guys :) i really don't want to go with the whole psycologist thing... and parents are against all meds with me now... so there isn't anything i could doi guessthen just deal...

Dorsum Oppel May 19th, 2010 05:31 PM

Not true.

Try occupational therapy. My OCD has gotten a million times better since I started working with horses, now I'm on a 4-H gelded drill team. I moved onto training my dogs, now their perfect, and I've gotten an animal science internship.

Asylum June 1st, 2010 07:55 PM

thanx Nik :) i'm glad to hear things have gotten better for you :) alas there is hope :)

BeautifulDisaster June 1st, 2010 10:42 PM

You don't have to be on medication for your OCD to get better.

Why don't you want to go to a psychologist?

You must have seen a professional to be diagnosed with these disorders, & did they offer you any treatment options?

Decapitated June 2nd, 2010 02:41 AM

There is medication that makes you focus. It is made just for ADHD.

BeautifulDisaster June 2nd, 2010 02:51 AM

ADHD medications make anxiety disorders worse. ^^

Asylum June 3rd, 2010 07:39 PM

because i got a psycologist for Self injury, and parents well.. thy treated me differently they were meanier caled me a psycho made fun of me for it... and the psycologists in which i had never helped... so it made life actually worse for me... and i had like 3.. psycs in my life..
yes i have to see a psycologist once every 4 years to get re diagnosed so i can get longer tst times at school. she offered me meds... i said no... she offered me somoene to tlak to.. but i declined because i didn't want to go thru hell agian... see problems is i was diagnosed with sevre anxieyt disorder also... so the meds did make it wor.se.. i was offered meds to help anxiety and for ADD/ADHD so i'd be fine.. but that is a lot of drugs... and they have side affects....

BeautifulDisaster June 3rd, 2010 08:25 PM

We are not that different in that sense then.

When I was 7, I was referred to CAMHS, & I've seen multiple professionals since then, these include psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, social workers & counselors.

I have not had many good experiences with most of the professionals I've seen myself, only 2 of them all were any good & they ended up changing jobs/saying my needs were too complex for them.

All the other professionals have been very patronizing, misunderstanding, untrustworthy, down playing, & one of them I suspect was unstable.

but, I'm not giving up on professional help, I'm going to be referred to Adult Services when I turn 18 & I'm told they are a lot better than CAMHS & services for under 18s, maybe this is something you could look into for when you're older?

Just because you've had bad experiences with professionals in the past, does not mean history will repeat itself in the future. You need to keep trying to find that person who you will "click" with.

Your parents sound like the majority of my family, & I am sorry you have to deal with that too, clearly they don't understand these difficulties & are very insensitive/arrogant towards you. Is there any way this could be avoided? How old are you? Can you move out? Is there any other family member that you get on well with & who are more understanding/sensitive towards you?

There are other treatments for both ADHD & Anxiety Disorder(s) besides medication(s), however, medication(s) are there to help you cope better with these disorders, & yes, side effects are a probability, but you have to weigh it out, do the cons outweigh the pros or do the pros outweigh the cons?

I'm on medications & I get side effects but I'd rather get side effects than suffer.

Do you not agree with that for your situation?

If you are determined not to go on medication(s), then that's your choice, you don't always need medication(s) for these disorders, they can be treated with other methods, but you do need to see someone again & discuss these methods with them.

Don't give up because of a few bad experiences.

Asylum June 4th, 2010 11:56 AM

wow thats what happened to me they couldn't deal with my issues so they sotpped calling for more appointments.. I hope to get help once i'm away from family, i'll probably do that. unfortuantely there is no way to avoid my family, i'm stuck with them for 3 more years. i am 16, and i can't move out, i'd have no where to go. Most of my family is way far away, and they woulnd't take me in... when my uncle was diagnosed with bipoloar disorder and was in and out of hospitals, got addcited to drugs, they let him go homeless.. next year i will find my brith parents, and well i'm not so sure what condition they are in if i do find them if its safe to live with them for a few years, or if they want me back into their lives.
as of right now the cons win, but in the futue because i want help, i'm going to get it once i can. im sorry yoru parents are like mine, and you've gone through similair situations...
depending on what the side affects are i'd be willing to take it.. i just remeber being on ADHD meds and feelings like i wasn't there, i was a robot.. with no emotion.. i odn't want to feel that way again, i like being myself, i feel as if the mds took away my childhood.. i've tried a lot of meds for it had to be put on a heart moniter for it speeding up my heart, no sleep, not eating, depressed, anxious. i'm ok with no sleep and not eating.. i'm fine with tht.. its just the other things.. but i'm willing to try and see a professional in the future oonce i can. :)thank you for you help

BeautifulDisaster June 5th, 2010 05:27 AM

I really do hope you get the help you deserve/need/want.

If the ADHD meds cause bad side effects, perhaps there are other meds you could go on to help with some of your problems?

Perhaps worth looking into?

Good luck though.xx