Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Abuse (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Bullying (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66092)

Obscene Eyedeas February 9th, 2010 12:47 PM

Bullying

Bullies

"When I was a young boy, the bully called me names, stole my bicycle, forced me off the playground. He made fun of me in front of other children, forced me to turn over my lunch money each day, threatened to give me a black eye if I told adult authority figures. At different times I was subject to a wide range of degradation and abuse -- de-pantsing, spit in my face, forced to eat the playground dirt....To this day, their handprints, like a slap on the face, remain stark and defined on my soul."

Eric E. Rofes --
Making our Schools Safe for Sissies [IMG]http://ssl-connection.**********/index.php/little.png[/IMG]

What bullying is
With all the focus that has surrounded teenage gangs and gun violence, it may be easy to forget that the teenage years are not the only times that children face violent behavior. Some studies suggest that around 20 percent of all American children have been the victim of bullying at some point in elementary school, and about the same number have described themselves as engaging in some form of bullying behavior. Bullying can range from teasing, to stealing lunch money, to a group of students physically abusing a classmate.

Even though bullying is very similar to other forms of aggression, there can be some distinctive features:

The intention of bullying behavior is purposeful, rather than accidental
The goal is to actually gain control over another child through physical or verbal aggression.
Usually bullies make their attack without any real reason, other than they see their victim as an easy target.
Bullies are usually more popular with their peers than children who are simply aggressive.

What bullying can look like in school
Bullies in school are more likely to pick on people their same age, with boys more likely to be both bullies and victims. Girls, when they do bully, are more likely to verbally harass someone than be physical. Boys sometimes use physical attacks, but they are also more likely to threaten and harass one of their peers in a verbal way.

What it means to be a bully
Living in a society where wealth and power are admired, film heroes regularly beat up and kill others, and the weak and sick are often despised, it is no surprise that some children have learned to imitate these values. Research has shown that although bullies tend to have difficulty making friends, they do gain a certain level of popularity and peer status for their actions. It is possible that bullies may be enjoying more respect and admiration from their peers, and bullying behavior, especially among boys, can often be considered normal behavior.

Causes of bullying
Parental relationship
Bullies tend to come from families that are characterized as having little warmth or affection. These families also report trouble sharing their feelings and usually rate themselves as feeling less close to each other. Parent of bullies also tend to use inconsistent discipline and little monitoring of where their children are throughout the day. Sometimes parents of bullies have very punitive and rigid discipline styles, with physical punishment being very common. Bullies also report less feelings of closeness to their siblings.

School failure
Bullies are usually not model students. Very often they are not doing well in school and do not have good connections with their teachers.

What it means to be a victim
Unfortunately in recent years, our attitudes have changed about what it means to be a victim. Many parents and school officials are likely to blame victims of bullying for being weak and not being able to stand up for themselves. This, coupled with the fact that victims are usually warned by bullies not to tell anyone, makes it difficult for them to talk with parents and teachers.

Ten percent of children could be considered extreme victims who have been the victim of bullies at least once a week for a long period of time. These children are often considered younger, weaker, or sicker by their peers. Victims are just as likely to be boys as girls. They often report strong fears or dislike of going to school. These children often report closer feelings to parents and siblings, but whether this causes them to be victims or is simply how they cope with being bullied is unclear. Being labeled a victim is likely to follow children around from year to year. Most extreme victims report having few or no friends and being alone at recess and lunch.

Symptoms that a child might be a victim of bullying:

acts moody, sullen, or withdraws from family interaction
becomes depressed
loses interest in school work, or grades drop
loses appetite or has difficulty getting to sleep
waits to use the bathroom at home
arrives home with torn clothes, unexplained bruises
asks for extra money for school lunch or supplies, extra allowance
refuses to go to school (15 percent of all school absenteeism is directly related to fears of being bullied at school)
wants to carry a protection item, such as a knife

Consequences of bullying

Short term effects of being a victim
Being a victim is very stressful for children. Many children develop a strong dislike of going to school, especially times like recess or gym class. Many victims begin to distrust all their peers at school and have problems making friends. Victims can develop depression or physical illness.

Short term effects of being a bully
Even though bullies are sometimes viewed positively by their peers, they rarely are capable of maintaining close friendships. They are usually not doing well in school and not well liked by their teachers.

Long term effects of being a bully
Bullying is a behavior that is very often one of the first steps to more serious problems. Unless some kind of intervention takes place, the aggression of bullying often leads to more serious acts of delinquency and criminal activity. Bullies are also more likely to use drugs and alcohol as adolescents.

Consequences
Research has consistently shown that the consequences of bullying are severe and range from impaired academic performance to increased risk for suicide. A smaller, but not less influential, line of research has examined the association between severe psychotic disorders (for example schizophrenia) and history of abuse. This research has shown that adults who experience psychotic disorder are more likely than non-affected adults to have a history of childhood trauma, including peer victimization. Could this mean that bullying may increase the risk for developing schizophrenia?
One way to start to examine this question would be to explore whether childhood victimization predicts the presence of early signs of psychotic disorders. This is the strategy employed by a team of British researchers who published their findings in this month’s issue of the prestigious Archives of General Psychiatry. This population-based study examined over 6,000 children at the ages of 8, 10, and 12 who were participating in a longitudinal study of human development in England. The authors measured the history of victimization at age 8 and 10 as predictors of psychotic symptoms at age 12. Psychotic symptoms included the presence of hallucinations (e.g., seeing or hearing things that are not there) or delusions (e.g., believing that people can read you thoughts).

The results:

1.How common is bullying? 2,823 children, or 46% of the sample reported experiencing some type of bullying. 14% of the sample reported chronic victimization.
2.Being victimized during middle childhood doubled the risk of experiencing definite psychotic symptoms in early adolescence (OR 1.94).
3.The frequency of bullying was a key predictor of psychotic symptoms. Specifically, experiencing chronic bullying increased the risk of having psychotic symptoms by 252%.
4.The type of bullying also played a role. While all types of bullying predicted an increase in the risk for psychotic symptoms, experiencing overt victimization (being beaten) combined with experiencing relational victimization (social exclusion, spreading rumors, etc) increased the risk of psychotic symptoms by 360% when compared to those who did not experience victimization.
5.These findings remained stable after controlling for a number of potential explanatory variables, such as prior psychopathology, family adversity, and IQ.
Do these results indicate that victimization cause psychotic symptoms? No. The results are consistent with the hypothesis that victimization may lead to psychotic symptoms, but the nature of the study prevents us from making statements about causation. Although we use the terms “increase the risk for developing x”, this terminology is actually statistical terminology that refers to the probability for finding a specific outcome at a specific time. For example, in regards to the finding #2, being victimized in middle childhood increased the probability that the child would have psychotic symptoms at age 12. This does not address the question of “why or how” such probability is increased.

The authors correctly discussed this issue. Specifically, there is the possibility that children who were on path to developing psychotic disorders also engaged in behaviors during early childhood that made them more likely to be victims of bullying. In such a case, being victimized does not cause the psychotic symptoms. Instead, being victimized may have been the result of factors (such as extreme shyness) associated with later development of psychotic symptoms.

However, it is interesting that the authors found a “dose response”. That is, the more bullying the child experienced the higher the possibility of experiencing psychotic symptoms. Although one could argue that those at greater risk for developing psychotic symptoms elicited more frequent and severe bullying episodes, dose response effects are usually observed mostly in situations whether the predictor (in this case bullying) has a causative role in the outcome (psychotic symptoms). So this ‘dose effect’ supports the notion that peer victimization may contribute to the development of psychotic symptoms in childhood and adolescence

This is a serious issue and should never be taken lightly there is help out there
Click below to see just how serious it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE5yINOn4N4

SmileyGirl February 9th, 2010 01:06 PM

Re: Bullying

wow good job.
this should be stickied.

OnlyByTheNight. February 9th, 2010 03:05 PM

I'm stickying this. Its a brill thread. Thanks for making it.

Watchfulness March 7th, 2010 01:05 PM

People let themselves be bullied.
It is not the bully's fault.

Jess March 8th, 2010 12:18 PM

people should tell their parents or teachers if they are bullied

Quick_Sylver March 8th, 2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchfulness (Post 810240)

Is that so? That's why have a scar on my leg because I *let* a few jerks beat me up when I was 9? Okay, that makes loads of sense. Could you elaborate on how its the victim's fault?

Harley Quinn March 8th, 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Lol. Yeah you keep believing that. Victims are called victims for a reason. Bullies are called bullies for a reason. Get your head into the real world. No body wants to be bullied. It happens yes, but it's not their fault.

Pirate March 9th, 2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Are you being serious?

So, you're saying these two boys LET what happened to them, happen?

How thoughtless of them. _

hotguy May 1st, 2010 12:33 AM

I never really got bullied but i help people from getting bullied

Jackson July 5th, 2010 02:32 AM

You have given a very nice definition and explanation of the Bullying. It hearts when anyone is abused and perceived imbalance of the power by the more powerful person. This may occur a serious problem when a person is emotionally and physically attacked by the other person.

JaGo July 5th, 2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

You raise a good point! I totally forgot that wishing you weren't being beat up makes it go away!

Zeh Crazy July 5th, 2010 04:47 AM

I've been bullied all of my life, at home and in school. I can tell you that it is part of the reason why I am the way I am...Somewhat resentful to the rest of the human race. :D

Valheru August 5th, 2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Wow. This thread explains a lot about me. Didn't realize I was so affected by the bullying I went through in school. I can semi-understand the quote above, mostly in relation to myself in the fact that I was never physically bullied, but words can do as much or more damage then being pushed about by people bigger then you. I was the outcast from the day I joined public schools, (went to a private school from Kindergarden-2nd grade)

I'm slowly healing due to the help of someone who noticed the trouble I was in and pulled me into a group of people that accepted me.

Quote:

acts moody, sullen, or withdraws from family interaction
becomes depressed
loses interest in school work, or grades drop
loses appetite or has difficulty getting to sleep
Are the symptoms I showed and am still going through but have just recently come out of depression (that I didn't realize I was even depressed until after because I had gotten so used to feeling down.) and slowly getting my schooling and sleeping schedule back to somehting healthy.

Thanks for the thread. Now that I have a better idea of why I ended up like I am, hopefully I'll be able to come to terms with it and heal a bit faster.

xBRiTxBeaRx August 9th, 2010 01:19 AM

i never had to deal with bullies, but i have seen other people go through it and it sucks. kids can be soo cruel, but from what i notice, bullies seem to target those that look defenseless. i have never seen a bully go after someone that looks like they could kick butt.

luvthissite October 9th, 2010 07:36 AM

Are you getting bullied at school? Do you hate going to school because you are afraid, tired of getting bullied? Pushed, teased, punched, tripped, name calling?

First, tell your parents immediately. Tell them exactly who is doing, when it happened, what happened, and tell them you want them to contact the school principal and school board. If you parents do not do what you think is necessary, you can do this yourself. If the bullying is really serious, either your parents (or if they wont do it), write a letter to the school principal and sent it certified mail (make a copy first), you will need to go to the post office to do this. A lot of bullying cases I hear about, the school claims "we did not know bullying was going on" - BULL SHIT. Sending the letter certified mail will make the school legally responsible, possibly liable, and ON NOTICE, that THEY MUST STOP THE BULLYING AGAINST YOU. If it does not stop, send more letters, certified mail, go see the counselor, document when you went, go see your teacher.

THE most important thing: TELL TELL TELL. DO it in person, AND IN WRITING.
Also, if you are having thoughts of suicide, tell that TOO, in person and in writing.

TRUST ME-if you follow the above advice, I know bullying can be tough (I was bullied), IT WILL EVENTUALLY STOP.

Conn0r October 9th, 2010 09:57 AM

Its actually quite hard to tell an adult sometimes.

I've been bullied lots, and made up stories everytime.
I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to my pupil support teacher or my parents.

welcome_to_chaos October 9th, 2010 05:13 PM

what he said ^ it is hard to tell someone..very hard. the only time i acually told my mom outright bout it was the other day when i got vodka and tea poared all over me. i felt i had to so that it didnt happen again. :( but unforunaly there have been many times when i havent told anyone

districtnowhere November 5th, 2010 05:59 PM

i never actually got bullied but there are some people who do make fun of me.. but i usually just ignore them...

LozziRAWR February 27th, 2011 09:25 AM

I get bullied but it only hurts if you take their words to heart, or if you dont do anything about it. Tell as many people you trust as you can if you get bullied.

smitty35 March 12th, 2011 06:30 PM

The only type of bullying I recieve is verbal, never physical.