Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can OCD go away? (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45817)

punkjake June 5th, 2009 07:03 PM

Can OCD go away?

I'm always worring a lot and i think its OCD ,but thats not the point can it go away:eek:?

Oblivion June 5th, 2009 07:25 PM

Re: Can OCD go away?

With excellent self control, or medicines and counseling, it often can go away or be treated. Sorry, cured was the wrong word.

IAMSAM June 5th, 2009 10:28 PM

Well, call me picky here, but are you sure you have TRUE OCD? As in diagnosed by a doctor? Being 'fussy' or 'perfectionistic' isn't actually a mental disorder. There's a diff btw'n something that's caused by personality, and something that's caused by brain chemistry. One you have control over, the other is beyond that.

So, if it's TRUE OCD, then there's medications and therapies that control it and help the person manage it. There's no 'cure' as in fix, there's effective, ongoing treatment which minimizes the impact of the symptoms.

INFERNO June 6th, 2009 12:05 AM

If you're not diagnosed then you officially don't have OCD, although you still could meet the diagnostic criteria. "Worrying a lot" could hint at other disorders, not only OCD. Cant get rid of what you don't have (assuming you don't have it).

punkjake June 6th, 2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAMSAM (Post 530012)
Well, call me picky here, but are you sure you have TRUE OCD? As in diagnosed by a doctor? Being 'fussy' or 'perfectionistic' isn't actually a mental disorder. There's a diff btw'n something that's caused by personality, and something that's caused by brain chemistry. One you have control over, the other is beyond that.

So, if it's TRUE OCD, then there's medications and therapies that control it and help the person manage it. There's no 'cure' as in fix, there's effective, ongoing treatment which minimizes the impact of the symptoms.

i'm not a perfectionist :P im actully prety laid back until i get worried and start obsessing

IAMSAM June 6th, 2009 01:59 PM

Jake, I think you might be misusing some clinical terms here. Worrying doesn't mean you have OCD, and 'obsessing' is a loose term, you mean you get preoccupied? That's different than true obsessional thought. For one thing, obsessions are irrational, they're usually not based on some event or some reasonable conclusion. And, they're really debilitating. Not just uncomfortable, but they really shut you down, it's like you cannot do anything but think about the obsessional ideas, they block every other thought out.

People know when they've got this b/c it just shuts them down. You don't sound like that (fortunately). You mgiht have a problem controlling yuor anxiety, but that's not OCD. if you cannot work on other ways to address your anxiety, then tell your folks and let them work with you to find other solutions.

goin to work June 6th, 2009 02:13 PM

it will never go away however meds and tricks to train your brain help i have ocd and ive benn medicated for all most a year now and its worked amazeingly

PrincessSarey June 6th, 2009 06:13 PM

OCD can be controlled.

INFERNO June 7th, 2009 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soggytoast (Post 530713)
OCD can go away very easily, all you have to do is keep on washing your hands, OCD has been proven to be a skin condition.

long story short: wash your hands more

I cant tell if you're being serious or not...

PrincessSarey June 7th, 2009 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INFERNO (Post 531393)

Serious or not, they don't deserve our response/reaction.
Just ignore them. ;)

soggytoast June 7th, 2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INFERNO (Post 531393)

oh my.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessSarey (Post 531464)
Serious or not, they don't deserve our response/reaction.
Just ignore them. ;)

kinda fucked that one up?

Triceratops June 7th, 2009 11:28 AM

Please, keep this on topic.

Thanks. :)

SegundoTJ January 20th, 2010 08:00 PM

Im not sure if any of you know but A&E is casting for their second season of "Obsessed" which gives 12-16 weeks of free professional therapy to those with OCD and anxiety disorders. It shows the truth about OCD and really helps people change their lives. You can email [email protected] for more info.