Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Things that really bother me.... (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211315)

SteelyDan10678 July 10th, 2014 08:57 PM

Things that really bother me....

I can't stand when people flippantly use the term "OCD" as if it were some kind of joke. The more frustrating thing is that when I tell them that I get offended when people say that, they suddenly make me seem like I'm in the wrong. I've had OCD my whole life, and it has been the bane of my existence, to the point where I've considered running off or ending my life to take the burden of raising me off of my parents. OCD isn't just "haha I love having a clean desk" or "I eat the blue m&ms first because I like them"
I can't stand the compulsions, and I can't stand the intrusive thoughts that come with having OCD. I don't understand why this disorder has turned into some kind of joke or buzzword among people who feel as though they need something to spice up their boring lives.

Blood July 10th, 2014 09:27 PM

Re: Things that really bother me....

It's not really right for people to joke about a disorder of any kind, but the fact of the matter is that people are going to joke about it. That's life. Worrying and getting mad because people joke about it isn't really going to help anything. I'm sure the people who joke about it don't have anything against people who actually suffer from OCD. A joke is just that; a joke.

Karkat July 11th, 2014 01:05 AM

This annoys me a lot as well- and as a result of what you've described, people don't take me seriously. They think that I'M joking when I say something about being OCD.

It's awful. I get pissed off at people who joke about being ADHD or treat autism, retardation, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, addiction, and suicide like they're all jokes. I don't get how on earth it could be funny.

Svan July 11th, 2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelyDan10678 (Post 2867900)
I can't stand when people flippantly use the term "OCD" as if it were some kind of joke. The more frustrating thing is that when I tell them that I get offended when people say that, they suddenly make me seem like I'm in the wrong. I've had OCD my whole life, and it has been the bane of my existence, to the point where I've considered running off or ending my life to take the burden of raising me off of my parents. OCD isn't just "haha I love having a clean desk" or "I eat the blue m&ms first because I like them"
I can't stand the compulsions, and I can't stand the intrusive thoughts that come with having OCD. I don't understand why this disorder has turned into some kind of joke or buzzword among people who feel as though they need something to spice up their boring lives.

Yes, this and when they say things like "I'm so ADHD". They have NO clue what anything of that sort is like. As for me, it wouldn't PERSONALLY offend me, because I neither have OCD or ADHD, but I DO have Borderline Personality Disorder and severe depression.

SteelyDan10678 July 11th, 2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss (Post 2868064)
This annoys me a lot as well- and as a result of what you've described, people don't take me seriously. They think that I'M joking when I say something about being OCD.

It's awful. I get pissed off at people who joke about being ADHD or treat autism, retardation, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, addiction, and suicide like they're all jokes. I don't get how on earth it could be funny.

And then they get all incredulous when you point it out to them.

Karkat July 12th, 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelyDan10678 (Post 2868211)
And then they get all incredulous when you point it out to them.

Yup. Or they will turn the COMPLETE opposite way, out of nowhere, and go "ahh, you're probably just exaggerating". Ah yes, this coming from the person who didn't want to work on their homework or whatever two minutes ago and wrote it off as "Ah, I'm so ADHD".

1_21Guns July 14th, 2014 06:56 PM

It annoys me when people joke about things they shouldn't, but as Blood said, people will joke about those things. It hasn't bothered me as much since I came to realise it mainly comes from a lack of understanding, people often mock things they don't or can't understand because it's their reaction to it. Kinda when you hear something shocking, and laugh even though it's inappropriate to. Of course this far from excuses it, and if people don't understand something they should just shut their mouths about it, but they don't, and ignorance isn't worth getting annoyed over

PunkVanilla July 14th, 2014 07:10 PM

This makes me soooo mad.
People do not understand OCD if they do not have it.

thatgothgirluknow July 14th, 2014 07:48 PM

personally what annoys me is that people think that ocd is only being a neat freak ive even herd people call it obbsesive cleaning disorder the jokes dont bother me as much but then again i make them at myself for the most part because i find it makes people more comfortable with my things i do and more understanding like when i had a roommate at a mental hospital i joked about how i couldnt stand to have the door open even a crack because otherwise she probley would have thought it weird that i got up and made sure the door was closed absulety had to close the door till it clicked or i would end up staring at it as if it would close itself till finnally i got up and did it myself also it helped my friends understand why i was so picky about where they put my stuff or if they touched my stuff since i have a specific way everything in my room has to stay on my even if it seemed stupid to them i had to have everything where i was used to it being or i would freak even the empty bottle i left on my headboard had to stay there cause it had been there for so long and so now its part of my room if i didnt make the joke people would probley think i was crazy especialey the way if something touches one side of my body it has to touch the other the same exact way

ftrhh June 11th, 2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karkat (Post 2869740)
Yup. Or they will turn the COMPLETE opposite way, out of nowhere, and go "ahh, you're probably just exaggerating". Ah yes, this coming from the person who didn't want to work on their homework or whatever two minutes ago and wrote it off as "Ah, I'm so ADHD".

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgothgirluknow (Post 2871597)
personally what annoys me is that people think that ocd is only being a neat freak ive even herd people call it obbsesive cleaning disorder

I definitely get these two aspects, I almost feel like I can't tell people because they won't take me seriously. I've had people reply "oh yeah, I have it too, I am such a neat freak" and stuff like that, which is fine, but it sort of makes me feel like they don't really believe me, or don't think it's a serious thing. Like I'm talking about just needing to put stuff away or something. And then I don't want to explain myself, about the misconception that it's about being clean, because...I don't know. I'm just glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. It's weird, some of the people I've come across treat "being OCD" like a trend, or something. It makes me feel weird, like my struggles with it are invalid. But I know they don't mean any harm. (:

azure moonstone June 11th, 2016 09:43 PM

Please do not post in threads with more than two months of inactivity. :locked: