Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is eating very healthy an eating disorder? (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2042722)

Fiona2 January 13th, 2018 07:19 AM

Is eating very healthy an eating disorder?

I'm 15 and I enjoy eating very healthy. I eat a lot I think but I don't eat junk food or sweets. I also work out a lot and play sports, so I have extremely low body fat although I have a lot of muscle tone. Is anyone else like this and is it an eating disorder?

SethfromMI January 13th, 2018 08:56 AM

Re: Is eating very healthy an eating disorder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiona2 (Post 3618816)
I'm 15 and I enjoy eating very healthy. I eat a lot I think but I don't eat junk food or sweets. I also work out a lot and play sports, so I have extremely low body fat although I have a lot of muscle tone. Is anyone else like this and is it an eating disorder?

Unless your eating so little your body is not getting enough energy and the nutrients you need then you are perfectly fine.

Sailor Mars January 13th, 2018 10:23 AM

Being focused on a healthy diet isn’t a disorder. Like Seth said, as long as you aren’t depriving yourself of essential nutrients that give you the energy to function, and as long as you aren’t unhealthily obsessing over what you eat, you’re okay. A lot of people who work out or play sports focus on their diets, to not eat too much sugar, etc.

NudistFun January 13th, 2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

No. It's called eating healthy. Why would you think it's a disorder????:what::what::what:

Sailor Mars January 13th, 2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NudistFun (Post 3618850)
No. It's called eating healthy. Why would you think it's a disorder????:what::what::what:

Over obsessing what you eat can lead to an eating disorder. Eating “healthy” for some may mean a single salad a day and some fruit, which isn’t healthy at all.

NudistFun January 13th, 2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 3618852)
Over obsessing what you eat can lead to an eating disorder. Eating ďhealthyĒ for some may mean a single salad a day and some fruit, which isnít healthy at all.

Yes, but that's not what she described. She simply said she's active and eats healthy.

If a person is in good health, not anorexic or bulimic, but will simply only ever eat "healthy foods" because they are obsessed with them, I don't think that could technically be called a disorder so long as it doesn't interfere with their mental or physical health.

Sailor Mars January 13th, 2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NudistFun (Post 3618853)
Yes, but that's not what she described. She simply said she's active and eats healthy.

If a person is in good health, not anorexic or bulimic, but will simply only ever eat "healthy foods" because they are obsessed with them, I don't think that could technically be called a disorder so long as it doesn't interfere with their mental or physical health.

Not saying thatís what she described, im saying thatís how eating ďhealthyĒ canít be so healthy :) I agree that if a person is in good health and has a good diet, they donít have an eating disorder, but when it comes to the point that their good diet is undereating and not getting vital nutrients, then itís an eating disorder.

BlackParadePixie January 13th, 2018 10:50 PM

It's all about balance and variety. I'm gonna echo what Mars said about the salad thing. Yes, salads are very healthy...but if that's ALL you ever eat, that is not good...unless you're eating salads which include other food groups and proteins, and not JUST lettuce.
As long as you're eating good foods which provide you with the needed proteins, fats, vitamins and any other dietary needs...then there really is no way to call that an eating disorder.

Fiona2 January 14th, 2018 04:15 PM

Thank you for your responses. I actually eat a lot. I just eat very healthy. But because of my diet and work outs, I have very low body fat.

Sailor Mars January 14th, 2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiona2 (Post 3619487)
Thank you for your responses. I actually eat a lot. I just eat very healthy. But because of my diet and work outs, I have very low body fat.

As long as you eat enough and donít deprive yourself of things you need, donít worry about it and keep doing you :)

Just JT January 14th, 2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NudistFun (Post 3618853)

I think it CAN be a disorder. But I agree with you itís not how the OP presents it. If it was a disorder youíd be so obsessed about what you eat and how healthy you eat that it becomes unhealthy if that makes any sense

hayley2003 January 14th, 2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

hi Fiona. i am not sure i understand. why would you be wonder if this is a eating disorder?

if a doctor is saying you've got an eating disorder, then maybe ask another doctor.

when you look in the mirror do you think you need to lose weight or do you think you look healthy?

my doctor says "Too much of anything is always bad" :)

Fiona2 January 14th, 2018 07:54 PM

hi Fiona. i am not sure i understand. why would you be wonder if this is a eating disorder? Because, I have low body fat and my diet is part of the reason

if a doctor is saying you've got an eating disorder, then maybe ask another doctor. My Dr says I have low body fat

when you look in the mirror do you think you need to lose weight or do you think you look healthy? I think my body looks like a guys from the neck down. lol

Anthony17 January 16th, 2018 01:57 AM

Very plainly, I wouldn't say this is an eating disorder.

Fiona2 January 16th, 2018 10:40 PM

Thank you for your response.

NewLeafsFan January 23rd, 2018 06:50 AM

I can't find a problem with your eating habits. Just be prepared that there will be a day when your metabolism will slow down and you will be less active. At that point it would be wise to reassess your diet so that you can maintain a healthy BMI.

BlackParadePixie February 27th, 2018 08:17 PM

If it's your doctor saying you have low body fat, then he/she should be able to give you some recommendations of things to eat which will help balance that out. Meat, chicken, nuts, eggs, peanut butter, milk, greek yogurt, pasta...are some things I can think of which are, for the most part, good for you (in moderation) and would help you with protein and healthy fats.

lliam February 27th, 2018 11:26 PM

According to my definition of healthy food, or health in general, no eating disorder can develop from it.

To me healthy means, not only eating stuff, which is generally considered healthy, but also pretty much everything to eat, what tastes good.

And of course all on a variety moderate level and in coexistence with regular sportive movement.

But since even this can turn everything into an obsession, everything is healthy if only you consciously pay attention to a balance in life.

amazmain July 1st, 2018 09:36 PM

I consider myself to eat very healthy. And the thing is, if you aren’t getting certain nutrients etc, then u WOULDNT be eating very healthy. Remember that

Dalcourt July 1st, 2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazmain (Post 3697397)
I consider myself to eat very healthy. And the thing is, if you arenít getting certain nutrients etc, then u WOULDNT be eating very healthy. Remember that

Please don't post in threads with more than two months inactivity :locked: