Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs, and Meds (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Why does tobacco cigarettes contain so many toxic additives? (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2041219)

adtse November 12th, 2017 12:37 PM

Why does tobacco cigarettes contain so many toxic additives?

I was learning about why smoking is bad for health in health class, and I learned that cigarettes contain many toxic additives. Some I remember include:
  • Cadmium
  • Nitro Benzene (Gasoline)
  • Mercury
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • Lead
  • Ammonia
There were more but I don't remember. What is the purpose of all those additives anyways? I was also thinking, how many cigarettes does it take to get mercury poisoning?

bojack November 12th, 2017 06:25 PM

Re: Why does tobacco cigarettes contain so many toxic additives?

I think some are natural biproducts of productions, while others are added in to either keep them fresh longer, help them burn at the right rate, or some other "benefit". As for mercury poisoning, it looks like it takes A LOT to effect you. Reading up on it quickly, it looks like a cigarette gives up 5 ng while burning, and to actually be effected by it requires something literally magnitudes higher than a nanogram, so its not a concern

Babs November 12th, 2017 06:25 PM

I did some brief research on google and pretty much every page I clicked said the same thing as this article. https://www.thenakedscientists.com/a...als-cigarettes

adtse November 13th, 2017 10:49 PM

I heard that pure tobacco is better than cigarettes which contains lots of additives. And I heard that vape juice has the most additives (Don't know if that is true or not), though it has been said that vape does not create real smoke so it doesn't harm lungs as bad.

Babs November 14th, 2017 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtse (Post 3589872)
I heard that pure tobacco is better than cigarettes which contains lots of additives. And I heard that vape juice has the most additives (Don't know if that is true or not), though it has been said that vape does not create real smoke so it doesn't harm lungs as bad.

Even smokeless tobacco can cause cancer. Though rolling your own cigarettes could possibly be healthier than a pack, it probably doesnt make much of a difference. Vaping is often praised as a healthier alternative to smoking, but it's not that different honestly. I am inclined to believe that it does contain more additives as it is processed to be vaporized rather than burned. If you want to be healthier, you're better off just not consuming tobacco.

adtse November 14th, 2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babs (Post 3589934)
Even smokeless tobacco can cause cancer. Though rolling your own cigarettes could possibly be healthier than a pack, it probably doesnt make much of a difference. Vaping is often praised as a healthier alternative to smoking, but it's not that different honestly. I am inclined to believe that it does contain more additives as it is processed to be vaporized rather than burned. If you want to be healthier, you're better off just not consuming tobacco.

I know, any method of taking in tobacco can be cancerous and unhealthy. I am talking about the level of un-healthiness.

BlackParadePixie November 16th, 2017 09:44 PM

Read up on Jeffrey Wigand and the Vanity Fair article from 1996 called "The Man Who Knew Too Much"
Also, check out the movie 'The Insider" it deals with the subject of a biochemist who once worked for a prominent tobacco company and then turned whistle blower to let the American public know about how dangerous cigarettes are and the process of how they make them so addictive.

Basically all of those chemicals in the cigarettes interact with the nicotine to impact the absorption into the lungs and bloodstream. Basically, it gets you "high" faster and gives you a better satisfied feeling. I know cigarettes don't actually get you high, but I'm just using that term loosely, because they do create physiological and chemical changes in your brain and throughout the body.

Dmaxd123 March 5th, 2018 05:52 PM

i would assume some of it is like others said, but would also assume some of it is because they need cheap fillers/binders

since tobacco isn't a food product they can get away with putting non-food stuff in them

Stronk Serb March 7th, 2018 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtse (Post 3589282)
I was learning about why smoking is bad for health in health class, and I learned that cigarettes contain many toxic additives. Some I remember include:
  • Cadmium
  • Nitro Benzene (Gasoline)
  • Mercury
  • Carbon Monoxide
  • Lead
  • Ammonia
There were more but I don't remember. What is the purpose of all those additives anyways? I was also thinking, how many cigarettes does it take to get mercury poisoning?

Some sources say tobacco contains 40 cancerous substances. Also, having smoked like 5 packs in one day, I had no mercury poisoning. Coughed like I had TBC the next day though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtse (Post 3589872)

When grown that tobacco also has to get sprayed with chemicals, and like all farmed plants, it absorbs the chemicals from the soil too. Still, I preffered homegrown tobacco to cigsrettes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 (Post 3638305)
i would assume some of it is like others said, but would also assume some of it is because they need cheap fillers/binders

since tobacco isn't a food product they can get away with putting non-food stuff in them

Making it a food product would literally shut down the tobacco industry. A friend of my dad who was a math geek was offered a contract to calculate how much a given percentage of ex-smokers and non-smokers would want to smoke if they smell cigarette smoke. Do not exactly remember the equation, but it was something like that. Calculating how many new consumers you will get. It goes to show how much time and money the tobacco conglomerates have, when they can spend it on an equation like that which takes months to complete.

adtse March 7th, 2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stronk Serb (Post 3638876)
Making it a food product would literally shut down the tobacco industry. A friend of my dad who was a math geek was offered a contract to calculate how much a given percentage of ex-smokers and non-smokers would want to smoke if they smell cigarette smoke. Do not exactly remember the equation, but it was something like that. Calculating how many new consumers you will get. It goes to show how much time and money the tobacco conglomerates have, when they can spend it on an equation like that which takes months to complete.

Well, I heard that eating tobacco can make someone very high. I wonder if people sometimes accidentally swallow chewing tobacco. However, I what the FDA says about additives.

Mrflufay March 15th, 2018 07:14 PM

I grow and cure tobacco for a hobby. When you eat tobacco its more of a headrush with euphoria not really a high. I found out because when i was picking the leaves, the leaves give off residue, i got residue all over my hands and i got curious and licked it. I got a headrush and felt light. Also i chew a small bit of leaf to test the strength of the leaf and have eaten it on accident, it just gave me a stomach ache.