Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Updating Instant Messaging (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2040128)

PlasmaHam September 15th, 2017 07:29 PM

Updating Instant Messaging
 
I noticed that the instant messaging contact list in the User CP is in some serious need of updating. All of the current sites listed (except Skype) have lost a very large percentage of their user base over the years, and have fallen to the wayside. MSN Messager has been discontinued for years now. Also, none of the more recent and more popular messaging sites, like Discord and Facebook Messenger, are listed.

I'm just saying it might be time to update the list for 2017. Honestly, it looks like that list hasn't been updated in a decade, so its likely high-time to do so.

xXl0sth0peXx September 17th, 2017 10:44 AM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
to be honest i'm not sure if this something that we even have control over. I'm fairly certain that it's not a setting we can change on vt itself, it's vbulletin defaults, and we could remove the field completely but i don't think we can actually change it. it's possible there's a mod for it somewhere, but discord is so new and vbulletin 3.8 is a bit older, so it's unlikely they'd have an addon with discord on it.

Just JT September 17th, 2017 12:46 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xXl0sth0peXx (Post 3572713)
to be honest i'm not sure if this something that we even have control over. I'm fairly certain that it's not a setting we can change on vt itself, it's vbulletin defaults, and we could remove the field completely but i don't think we can actually change it. it's possible there's a mod for it somewhere, but discord is so new and vbulletin 3.8 is a bit older, so it's unlikely they'd have an addon with discord on it.


Is this the reason that VT only allows certain aps we are allowed to show in our profile?

adtse October 27th, 2017 07:31 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
I think that maybe the server could be changed somehow. Like add some more popular messaging systems, such as Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, etc.

Vegas2933 November 1st, 2017 02:22 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
There should be spaces for Snapchat and Instagram and so on. More popular apps. :)

Endeavour November 1st, 2017 02:28 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adtse (Post 3584934)
I think that maybe the server could be changed somehow. Like add some more popular messaging systems, such as Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas2933 (Post 3586365)
There should be spaces for Snapchat and Instagram and so on. More popular apps. :)

I think we're forgetting here that VT is above all a help and advice site, and it's not a place to share social media. By all means, you can share it over private messaging, but we just can't have it publicly. Also, as Val said above the current contact details system is hard coded into vBulletin, and with this version being relatively old, it's not going to have apps such as Snapchat or Instagram which have only came about in recent years.

Vegas2933 November 1st, 2017 03:28 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Endeavour (Post 3586368)
I think we're forgetting here that VT is above all a help and advice site, and it's not a place to share social media. By all means, you can share it over private messaging, but we just can't have it publicly. Also, as Val said above the current contact details system is hard coded into vBulletin, and with this version being relatively old, it's not going to have apps such as Snapchat or Instagram which have only came about in recent years.

Ah I understand. :)

adtse November 1st, 2017 04:16 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Endeavour (Post 3586368)
I think we're forgetting here that VT is above all a help and advice site, and it's not a place to share social media. By all means, you can share it over private messaging, but we just can't have it publicly. Also, as Val said above the current contact details system is hard coded into vBulletin, and with this version being relatively old, it's not going to have apps such as Snapchat or Instagram which have only came about in recent years.

Ah, I see. I wonder why it can't be changed, though it is a VBulletin default.

topseededamateur November 4th, 2017 07:44 AM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
there should be info for other messengers too

adtse November 15th, 2017 11:55 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by topseededamateur (Post 3587063)
there should be info for other messengers too

I am kind of thinking that if it could be done, the instant messaging sharing might probably someday get removed. As VT is not a place for sharing social media, it could however be done through private messaging. Except I don't like the fact instant messaging is not allowed if you have less that 100 posts. By my personal preference, I think it should be allowed though. And I am completely fine with it being shown to the public.

xXl0sth0peXx November 16th, 2017 10:06 AM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Quote:

Except I don't like the fact instant messaging is not allowed if you have less that 100 posts.
I will take this to assume that you mean private messaging, and this is to prevent people joining with the sole intent to abuse the PM system. We get enough people as it is with the 100 post restriction.

There is nothing wrong with the instant messaging tabs or anything like that, and I don't know why you think it'd someday get removed. You're right, it's not for sharing social media, but skype =/= social media, and that's why instagram and others aren't on there. You're more than welcome to share what you'd like (smartly) over PM.

adtse November 16th, 2017 10:53 PM

Re: Updating Instant Messaging
 
Just wondering, does VT use their own server or does it use vBulletin Cloud hosting? I am not sure if this version of vBulletin has cloud hosting. But if it uses its own server, I think maybe you could change the instant messaging system if you know a lot about XML, PHP, etc.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org