Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Depression, Loss, and Grief (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Breakdown when I hear the word dad (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039935)

Rraven September 6th, 2017 05:32 PM

Breakdown when I hear the word dad

Ok so my dad isn't dead or anything but I haven't seen him in a few years because we had a fight about me wanting to change my last name and he got mad and yadda yadda yadda. Anyway I don't really talk to him unless it's a holiday or something of the sort and I asked him to send me my music box a few weeks ago and it finally came in the mail a few days ago so ever since anytime I see or hear the word dad or father I completely break down crying because you know I miss my dad and usually when I'm sad I can listen to sad songs and just cry my feeling out but I can't do that and I don't know why. I don't cry when I hear sad songs or read sad stories the only time I can cry is when I hear or see the word dad and I just thought that was odd. I don't know why I can't cry unless I'm triggered by the word dad, does this sort of thing happen to anyone else? Is my mind broken or something?

BlackParadePixie September 6th, 2017 07:16 PM

Re: Breakdown when I hear the word dad

So you had a fight with him a few years ago...about wanting to change your last name? At what age? 10...? 11...? That seems kind of young to be wanting to be doing that sort of thing.

Why don't you try to contact him, or visit him? Work out your differences...and maybe even try to repair any damage, or make up for lost time? I bet he wants to see you, why would he send you your music box if he didn't want to have anything to do with you?

Dalcourt September 6th, 2017 10:17 PM

Well as lot of things can be triggers when you are depressed. So why should the word Dad be an exception there?

Anyway as Fiona already said you probably should work out your differenceso with your Dad. Once you are on better terms with him again I'm sure you will feel less depressed.

jamie_n5 September 7th, 2017 01:54 PM

I think that it's the psychological connection you have with your dad and how much you miss him. You have to let go the thoughts about the fight you had. That is over and done with and now past history. You should try to connect with him again and stay in touch with each other. I am sure he loves you and misses you too.

Freckles September 7th, 2017 11:18 PM

The fact that you break down and cry means you still love him and probably feel guilty. You're experiencing what's called "pride." which can be good or bad. It sounds like you want to make up with him. All it takes is for you to swallow your pride and call him and apologize. I bet you both will cry happy tears and you'll lose a lot of stress and depression.

Just JT September 11th, 2017 03:49 AM

Think @Freckles is spot on tbh
And you just need to take the first step and call him
And get past this
Might feel really bad, but the end result will be much better

You dont wana live your life without him do you?

xXl0sth0peXx September 11th, 2017 08:55 AM

I think everyone else is right. It's not to say that your relationship will be fixed overnight, but I think that if you really do miss him, it's at least worth it to reach out to him and let him know what your feelings are.. that you are interested in a relationship. Even if it's just a friendship, it's something, and you can build it up from there to the level that you want. You might not ever have a "typical" relationship, but if you can work to build up something, that's a hell of a lot better then nothing.

Best wishes. x