Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Mental Illnesses (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Problems pinning it down (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039607)

Chaosphere August 22nd, 2017 04:13 AM

Problems pinning it down

So I've been struggling with some mental issues for the past few months. The problem is that my moods shift so much that some days I feel pretty normal and it feels like I don't really need help, and it severely messes up my motivation to want assistance. My constant oscillation from, "you're normal," to, "Not normal," feeds my anxiety and it's so hard to tell. My parents insist I'm normal or that it's temporary and I just need to find someone who can teach me coping mechanisms like a therapist. I've cut myself but my GF made me promise not to, and I'm trying to keep that promise and so far I have. She's probably the reason I haven't committed suicide. Honestly by this point I really hope I get diagnosed because if I'm normal I'll feel invalidated and like I couldn't handle the emotions that everyone else experiences. Here's my questions:

Has anybody, especially anyone who's been diagnosed, struggled with wondering if you're just normal and getting worked up over nothing?

How did your diagnoses compare to your expectations before you were evaluated (assuming you are diagnosed)?

UPDATE: for the 2 people who will probably ever read this lol, I've gotten diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I'm on medication, starting therapy etc etc. I've been noticing a lot of depersonalizing symptoms with me too but I'll probably create another thread for that. Thanks for your help guys, if anyone else wants to ask me something about this or wanted to say something, feel free to message me.

jamie_n5 August 23rd, 2017 08:36 PM

Re: Problems pinning it down

I have been diagnosed with Depression & Anxiety.

Looking at your description you may be Bipolar or even schizophrenic. I would talk to your doctor. No sense living feeling like you are now.

Chaosphere August 24th, 2017 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie_n5 (Post 3564125)
I have been diagnosed with Depression & Anxiety.

Looking at your description you may be Bipolar or even schizophrenic. I would talk to your doctor. No sense living feeling like you are now.

I've looked at a lot of the symptoms of those you mentioned and I'm probably closer to borderline personality disorder than Bipolar, though they share similar symptoms. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if I got diagnosed with something like you deal with, depression and anxiety. Either way, I have an appointment with someone who can evaluate me already scheduled. Thank you.

elmoc August 28th, 2017 01:48 PM

Congratulations. I admire your determination to be evaluated & if required, treated

KatieCO2003 August 28th, 2017 09:35 PM

After I was physically abused, I didn't really remember any of it and I thought I was OK. But about 4 months later I started having flashbacks and I had weeks of extreme anxiety and panic... to the point that I had to be hospitalized again. I was diagnosed with PTSD, as well as generalized anxiety disorder. In threapy, I met a few soldiers that had been wounded in Afghanistan. They told me they had the same experience. You can be fine and feel normal for a while, then it comes back suddenly and can last for weeks. One of the guys told me that he had talked to Vietnam and WW2 Vets and they said the same thing about it coming and going. So I don't think its abnormal at all, and I understand what you're saying. I'd still recommend getting evaluated. Yours may just turn out to be chemical and meds may help.

Seabadger67 August 28th, 2017 09:53 PM

I've never been diagnosed, but it's apparent to me that I suffer from anxiety and possibly depression. I feel the same sometimes, I wonder if I'm just exaggerating and everyone feels the same. At the end of the day if you feel these thoughts make you physically unsafe, it's time to see a doctor. I'd say your suffering from Bipolar Disorder, maybe a touch of anxiety but I'm not a professional. I know it's cliché but don't underestimate the power of talking, let your friends know how you feel. They'll be happy to help, even if you doubt it. ^_^