Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Mental Illnesses (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Any reason for an Asperger's diagnosis as an adult? (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2038560)

Kacchon July 14th, 2017 05:10 PM

Any reason for an Asperger's diagnosis as an adult?

I'm curious about looking into testing for Asperger's Syndrome. I've researched it quite a bit and have talked to some people who have said that I might have it (including family and a friend with AS.)

I'm 18, so I don't know if there are any benefits to having a diagnosis, or if I'll just be wasting money on a piece of paper from a doctor. I also have no idea how to go about testing for AS as an adult.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Flapjack July 14th, 2017 05:13 PM

Re: Any reason for an Asperger's diagnosis as an adult?

I doubt it would have a large effect on your life but if you know you have it you could get help in dealing with it buddy and reducing the effect it has on your life :)

Karkat July 15th, 2017 12:17 PM

It depends on how bad the impact on your life is. For me, a diagnosis on the autism spectrum was absolutely necessary because I need assistance in order to live independently/learn to, and to learn solutions to deal with my symptoms. Coping mechanisms, life skills, etc

I'm one of those people who will have to wear a medical ID in case I'm in public without my other half and something goes awry.

BUT sometimes higher functioning people on the spectrum can live without all that special assistance. It depends on what you think and feel is necessary.

EDIT: I just realized I only answered half of this post.

Ok so I got a diagnosis from my psychiatrist. However, it is provisional- afaik that means that a lot of agencies that could provide me services specifically relating to autism won't take it seriously or will need further evaluation. As far as actually getting a 'legit evaluation', it depends on what area (of the states) you live in. I'd just google it, personally that's how I've found places. One of the universities around here does testing, and has financial aid, so I might just do that.

jamie_n5 September 5th, 2017 06:49 PM

I think if you would like to know for sure if you have AS then I would go for the testing and know for sure. It may put your mind at ease either way.

Kacchon September 11th, 2017 02:57 AM

Update to a slightly old thread: I've had at least a large portion of the evaluation done, it was kind of a letdown to be honest. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Jaffe September 20th, 2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kacchon (Post 3570633)
Update to a slightly old thread: I've had at least a large portion of the evaluation done, it was kind of a letdown to be honest. Haven't heard anything back yet.

A 'letdown'? What were you expecting that did not happen?

Testing as well as benefits vary a lot in different states. And with different doctors. Some know the right words to use to give you the right diagnosis that your state will recognise.

But I think it is good that you decided to find out. Keep us updated