Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   ADD/ADHD (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Parents threaten me with medication (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2034271)

datboijoey January 9th, 2017 05:57 PM

Parents threaten me with medication

First of all, I love my parents. That said they do this thing that pisses me off. When I get noisy or "rowdy" they get mad and tell me to calm down or they'll give me ritalin for my ADHD. I know I don't have ADHD because the doctor told me I don't. Can they even get ritalin if I don't have ADHD? They can't force me to take it can they?

Devinsoccer January 9th, 2017 06:23 PM

Re: Parents threaten me with medication

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3478070)
First of all, I love my parents. That said they do this thing that pisses me off. When I get noisy or "rowdy" they get mad and tell me to calm down or they'll give me ritalin for my ADHD. I know I don't have ADHD because the doctor told me I don't. Can they even get ritalin if I don't have ADHD? They can't force me to take it can they?

The can't. It would be endangerment of a minor, if they did force you to take it. They would also be probably thrown in prison for giving you drugs. Also, I would call the cops on them, because they honestly don't love you if they do that. They can get Ritalin from a drug dealer. Honestly I would tell a trusted adult about your situation at your school, like your guidance councilor.

datboijoey January 9th, 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devinsoccer (Post 3478087)
The can't. It would be endangerment of a minor, if they did force you to take it. They would also be probably thrown in prison for giving you drugs. Also, I would call the cops on them, because they honestly don't love you if they do that. They can get Ritalin from a drug dealer. Honestly I would tell a trusted adult about your situation at your school, like your guidance councilor.

All the times they said it they never did it but it makes me wonder if they can. I'm pretty sure they aren't buying drugs from dealers. Mostly it pisses me off when they say it.

Just JT January 9th, 2017 06:59 PM

It largely depends on many things really. Normally they, nobody can force medical treatments on anyone including medication on a minor child. I know about this in the USA. But I don't know where you live. I'm not asking either

Not saying devin is wrong, he's a smart guy. Smarter than me tbh.

But it depends on the laws of where you live mostly

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3478070)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devinsoccer (Post 3478087)

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3478092)
All the times they said it they never did it but it makes me wonder if they can. I'm pretty sure they aren't buying drugs from dealers. Mostly it pisses me off when they say it.

Anniebanannie January 10th, 2017 09:29 PM

Are they kidding maybe? Not haha kidding, but a sort of an insulting threat that they're not really serious about, because they're annoyed?

datboijoey January 10th, 2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anniebanannie (Post 3478646)
Are they kidding maybe? Not haha kidding, but a sort of an insulting threat that they're not really serious about, because they're annoyed?

That's what my brother thinks. I hope that's all it is. I want them to stop saying it.

Anniebanannie January 11th, 2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3478722)
That's what my brother thinks. I hope that's all it is. I want them to stop saying it.

Would you be able to tell them that it really bothers you when they say that? And ask them to stop?

datboijoey January 11th, 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anniebanannie (Post 3479038)
Would you be able to tell them that it really bothers you when they say that? And ask them to stop?

Every time I tell them they say grow up!

Anniebanannie January 11th, 2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3479039)
Every time I tell them they say grow up!

Wow. That's hard. Does your brother have any ideas?

datboijoey January 11th, 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anniebanannie (Post 3479048)
Wow. That's hard. Does your brother have any ideas?

He said just don't say anything there in a phase.

bentheplayer January 28th, 2017 02:32 AM

Ritalin is a controlled drug which means that it is absolutely illegal. They will be breaking loads of law if they do it so it is most likely an empty threat unless they are that extreme?

Deleted User January 29th, 2017 01:22 PM

What I don't understand is how they're gaining access to a controlled substance if you're not diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously, if your doctor says you don't have it, you wouldn't be given a prescription for it. Does anyone else in your family have any reason to be taking Ritalin?

Also, I would speak to someone about this, like a teacher or a counsellor. Just because they don't do it right then and there doesn't mean it's not a real threat. Not to mention, it's just emotionally abusive to make you worry that they're going to force you to take medication you don't need, not to mention dangerous. Ritalin is not drug people should be taking without a proper prescription or management.

They absolutely cannot force you to take it and if they do, it is illegal for two reasons: a) you are being drugged without consent and b) it is a crime to share medications with someone they are not prescribed to, especially controlled substances.

Just JT January 29th, 2017 03:41 PM

@Magenta. I think that's one of the questions he has in his original post. Can they get it if there is no diagnose. AND can they force him to take it against his will

Deleted User January 29th, 2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just JT (Post 3484289)
@Magenta. I think that's one of the questions he has in his original post. Can they get it if there is no diagnose. AND can they force him to take it against his will

Well, I answered both. No, it won't/can't be prescribed and no, it is illegal to force him to take medications against his will. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not they have a way of following through on these threats. Because if they claim that they do, that is a concern. Having access to those kinds of drugs without a valid prescription is considered drug possession. And either way, even if they're just threatening it, no one should have to deal with being treated that way.

Just JT January 29th, 2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 3484307)
Well, I answered both. No, it won't/can't be prescribed and no, it is illegal to force him to take medications against his will. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not they have a way of following through on these threats. Because if they claim that they do, that is a concern. Having access to those kinds of drugs without a valid prescription is considered drug possession. And either way, even if they're just threatening it, no one should have to deal with being treated that way.

Yes
Wasn't challenging you. We're on the same page

datboijoey January 30th, 2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentheplayer (Post 3483901)
Ritalin is a controlled drug which means that it is absolutely illegal. They will be breaking loads of law if they do it so it is most likely an empty threat unless they are that extreme?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 3484263)
What I don't understand is how they're gaining access to a controlled substance if you're not diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously, if your doctor says you don't have it, you wouldn't be given a prescription for it. Does anyone else in your family have any reason to be taking Ritalin?

Also, I would speak to someone about this, like a teacher or a counsellor. Just because they don't do it right then and there doesn't mean it's not a real threat. Not to mention, it's just emotionally abusive to make you worry that they're going to force you to take medication you don't need, not to mention dangerous. Ritalin is not drug people should be taking without a proper prescription or management.

They absolutely cannot force you to take it and if they do, it is illegal for two reasons: a) you are being drugged without consent and b) it is a crime to share medications with someone they are not prescribed to, especially controlled substances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 3484307)

They never have done it. I'm pretty sure they don't have any drugs. I think they say it just to make me calm down or whatever. That's what my brother thinks too.

Deleted User January 30th, 2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3484626)
They never have done it. I'm pretty sure they don't have any drugs. I think they say it just to make me calm down or whatever. That's what my brother thinks too.

Well, if it really bothers you or makes you fearful that they may actually do it, I'd still tell someone. I don't think it's fair that your parents are using threats to 'calm you down' rather than talking to you and trying to find more productive ways to communicate about what's going on. Someone might be able to act as an intermediary and try to find a solution that works for you and your parents.

datboijoey January 31st, 2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 3484640)
Well, if it really bothers you or makes you fearful that they may actually do it, I'd still tell someone. I don't think it's fair that your parents are using threats to 'calm you down' rather than talking to you and trying to find more productive ways to communicate about what's going on. Someone might be able to act as an intermediary and try to find a solution that works for you and your parents.

I thought about talking to my aunt about it.

Deleted User January 31st, 2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datboijoey (Post 3484807)
I thought about talking to my aunt about it.

If you're comfortable talking to her about things like this, then maybe pick a time to go out for lunch or something and have a chat.